1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Shoes, on or off?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Jaspell, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Jaspell

Jaspell Member
    from 06117

Fisher 8'minute mount. I have left the blade shoes on but I hear some guys take them off to get a better blade/pavement bite. Opinions? Do you leave your plow shoes on or off?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Shoes are for feet.

Or plowing gravel maybe.

3. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

I keep mine on, but I clear 50% dirt driveways, 50% pavement. I got them at 3 spacers high right now, in combination with my cutting edge it works pretty good .

4. antanddom

antanddom Member

shoes off customers pay for snow removal the shoes suck

5. harddock

harddock Member
    from mass

Off Pavement, On gravel. Until ground is good and frozen, then off.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Real men don't wear shoes. Or something like that. I agree with antanddom, customers are paying. Cutting edges are a cost of doing business.

7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

After awhile I like to take them off and put on my pink bunny slippers.

[​IMG]

8. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

No shoes, tried them at first, but even on gravel they were a pain. Scrape it down.

9. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Once the ground is frozen, they make good ballast.

10. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

First things that get tossed out when I buy a new plow

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Never had a pair with my plows- worthless addition the manufacturer should sell as an option not standard equip.

12. Shoes----on or off ???

Try plowing a gas station without the shoes on !!! I own a service station in NY, and if I plow without them, every manhole cover gets removed from their manholes and buried in the piles of snow. I usually don't go in on weekends, so I had a friend plow the station 2 weekends ago after it snowed on Friday night. Saturday AM my gas pumper calls me and told me that someone stole all of the manhole covers. Guess where they were---in the piles all over the property. I had to go down and find them. That's why the shoes stay on my plow. 2 years ago, one of the lynch pins (that's what Fisher calls the pins that retain the shoes) broke and I lost one shoe while plowing the station. I realized it immediately, as the plow was getting caught on every irregularity. Sure enough, I looked and only had 1 shoe. Luckily I found it and all the spacers, as it wasn't buried too deep in one of the piles.

I only use the plow to do my shop and my driveway at home, so if there's an eighth of an inch of snow left after I plow, there's no one to complain, but at least I don't have to search for my manhole covers--the plow just glides over them with the shoes on---and the blacktop doesn't get ripped up either !!!

RON