1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on set up for YJ

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by bnrhuffman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Hi, Havent visited here for awhile. I got rid of my F350 w/Boss a couple years ago so Ive been out of the plow business. Thinking of getting back into it.
    Ive got a 95 YJ that is lifted 4" and locked in the rear. Im considering buying a Western Plow for it and doing residencial and small commercial. Ive been off roading this Jeep for 6 or 7 years and its been great but we dont get off road much any more. I hate to part with the YJ because, as much abuse as Ive thrown at it, it is too reliable to get rid of, and I just plain like it. So to justify keeping it, Im giving it a job.
    Heres how its set up now. 95 YJ, 2.5ltr, 5 spd, 4" lift, 32" Super Swampers, Rear D44 w/Detroit locker, 4.88 gears. It has other goodies but those are the relevant ones.
    Ive still got all stock parts for it, except axles.
    Heres what Im thinking. I want to keep the D44 rear because its alot better than the D35 that comes in them. I think the 4.88s will be great for plowing but the Detroit has me a little bothered. Anyone here plow with a locker? I know the combination of rear locker and Swampers are a real handful on anything slick. Im ditching the Swampers (they are on their last leg anyway) for either a set of 30" or 31" ATs or snow tires. Smaller tires and 4.88s should be a real good combination, even with the 4 cyl.
    Im probably going to remove the lift springs and sell them off. Ive already got a add a leaf kit to put under it with the stock springs. I figure that will stiffen up the front leafs enough to carry the plow fairly well and should only give me about 2" of lift over stock. Hopefully I wont have to modify the mount with that small bit of lift. Ive already got a Posi loc kit so I can have 2WD low. That should help relieve some of the stress on the front D30 in tight spots. Any thoughts on this set up? I think I'll start another thread to get specific info on plowing with the locker. Thats really the big question for me.