1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on POR 15 and fluid film, redoing a plow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by m.$terner, Nov 16, 2010.

1. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

tired of reading posts so figured id just make a new one. this weekends project will hopefully be redoing an 8 foot meyers plow. im trying to avoid sandblasting and powder coating etc for the pure sake of money at the time. I paint and have a compressor and spray gun big enough to paint my whole blade but I want to look at the other alternatives. A lot of people seem fascinated with POR 15. Is it realy that good? also heard it doesnt stick to paint very well and is more suited for rust or bare metal, is this true?. while this plow has decent rust its far from being coated in rust. taking it down to bare metal will be a job, i was hoping more for a DA and a grinder/rough sand paper in the nooks and crannies.Since im kind of against taking this blade down to pure metal and its not super rusty should i not consider using POR 15 at all. also a lot of people use the fluid film afterwards but ive heard it wears off fast and might not be worth it. Usually when i re-do something i sand down the rust, DA everything or at least sand to knock off the clear coat, prime the spots that need attention and repsray with a rattle can or my spray gun if the item is bg enough to do that with. is this still my best option for re-doing this plow? im open to suggestions,opinions, and the advancements of technology but dont want to waste my time and money if the products are not worth it overall or inn my scenario. so fire away:gunsfiring:
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Por-15 is the bomb. go to their website and get the kit designed for your application. Follow the instructions and it is the best primer coat you can imagine
  3. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

yeah after i made the post i went to their website and saw the prep and ready stuff and thought about that. so I can use that instead of a primer or would you still suggest primer underneath or on top of the "prep and ready" coat? also how much would i need? I remember someone else saying POR 15 is watery in content so a little bit goes a long way. i wonder if the prep and ready works the same way?