1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on plow time

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jk4718, Nov 5, 2011.

1. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

I have been plowing properties from 1-10 acres for the last the last 10 years, so please don't try to give me the newbie rants. For this property I was pretty sure on my hours until I came by the "acre per hour" rule of thumb here in the forums. Of course, that's for open spaces, but that has me curious.

Here is the question: For simplicity, let's say that this is done with 4 straight blades and a loader for the interior loading dock areas. How long do you think it would take? It's about 6 acres. I was thinking total 20 hours on a (2-4" increment pricing schedule) and that's a lot more than 6-9 hours!

snow.JPG

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

is there a snow box on the loader? Also will there be cars parked there overnight?

3. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

As of right now, I haven't purchased a box for it. I was just going to use the loader to pull it out for the trucks...to avoid backdragging and to clean up around those annoying random cars left in the lot overnight.

4. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

"Also will there be cars parked there overnight?"

I have plowed this lot as a sub years ago and there are always 3 or 4 cars left randomly in the lot. There is plenty of stacking room on all sides of the lot.

5. Rich Graz

Rich Graz Senior Member

Personally I feel having a loader with no snow box your only getting half of its value. With a box on it you have something more efficient then a straight plow thats capable of moving more snow at faster time, which to me is always my goal to get done as quick as I can (that's also because I do not bid hourly) I would not tell any client or prospect that I think it will take 20 hours to do your lot and if you believe that is the case with current allocated equipment you absolutely need more a equipment. Having cars in a lot is a big factor if you have to clean spaces between them even they are 10 spaces apart you are not doing straight runs going from one side to the other. Find out these things and i'm sure you will be able to get a better answer

6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

With 4 people on property I would have done in under 8, would shoot for under 6. The key would be a 12 or 14' pusher.

Any thing near 20 hrs and you will lose the bid 1 due to efficiency 2 due to cost!

7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I agree, no more than 8 equipment hours.

8. jk4718

jk4718 Senior Member

I made the mistake of using the auditors website to get the sq footage. I walked it off and it's actually 11.5 acres!

9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

This is backwards.

Trucks should FEED the loader.

Put wings on your straight blades and cut your time down and make some money.

10. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree. The trucks should feed the loader. If you outfit at least one truck with a rear plow, use that to clear the loading docks, and use the loader to its full capability with a pusher. Get the largest pusher that the loader will handle, and you will see the time drop quickly. I can't imagine with 5 pieces of equipment on that lot it would take more than about 9 total hours to clear that.

11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Plow time

I ran that job through our estimator and I cam up with 8.8 total hours for 11.5 acres. I wasn't sure what size plows you were using so I used 8' plows as a basis. Wings on your plows will speed this job up enough to pay for them very quickly.

12. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

If you're thinking 20 hours....then you have an average of 4 hours on each parking lot section per truck, with the loader feeding? That's a lot.

13. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

If it were me, I would have one or two trucks feeding the loader with a 14' box and an estimated time on the lot of 2-3 hrs with two trucks or 3-4 hours with two.

I have had an 8' pusher on a skid and wasn't happy with the performance so I moved up to a 12' box on a backhoe. I currently have one truck with an 8' blade and a skid with a 10' blade that feed the pusher. In the two storms that we have used it on, we have had to totally re-think our route because the blades have a hard time keeping up with the pusher.

I have a lot that is right around three acres. I used to have a skid with the pusher and a skid with the 10' blade on this property. The two operators worked together like pb&j and usually managed to clear 4" of snow in about 2 hours. The last storm dumped about 4" mixed with 55 mph winds. We had some 18" drifts and the snow was very wet and heavy. The pusher worked alone on this site and cleared the lot in just shy of 2 hours. Needless to say, I saved a ton of money. The acres/hour calculation doesn't really work on this lot because every flake of snow has to go to a far corner and get stacked. We can't just push it off to the sides.

If you could get a truck on that lot for an hour or two before the pusher comes in, you should be able to get it done rather quickly.

14. mike ward

mike ward Member

2 sp skid steer or loader with a 12' actic could do this site in 8 hrs. That would be his only job and in the case of heavy snow would just stay on site and start it all over again. The question is what is the hrly rate you would be looking for.