1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on loaders

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by rob_cook2001, Sep 27, 2014.

1. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, after a few years of kicking it around I NEED a loader.. I checked into leasing one but prices are insane.. I found two that I am considering. First is a case 621b original owner, super clean with 10k hours for 35,000. The second one is a cat It28b in decent shape but unknown hours for 29,000. The It28 does have a set of forks and auxiliary hydraulics. Even though I AM a cat guy I AM leaning towards the case... Opinions??
    Thankyou
    Robert.

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm a cat guy as well but those old case loaders run forever. I've seen a lot of them with over 20,000 hours on the clock

3. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I would go with which ever had the lowest hours and best dealer support.

4. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Case for sure...we bought a 96? 621B last season with about the same hours. It's been a great machine so far. I looked at some Cat's but the pricing for anything that was decent shape was nuts, and parts were even worse.

We also have a Case construction dealer within a half hour though. Closest Cat dealer is over an hour.

5. rob_cook2001

The case I wanted sold this morning! But I found another 621b with only 5200 hours for 36k. Going to look at it today.

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have never ran a CASE 621B but, everybody that has them seams to like them. I use a 2002 CAT 928G to load my wheeler in the Winter and I do a lot of screening with it in the Summer and like I have said before, I don't think you can beat a CAT loader.

7. rob_cook2001

You can't beat a cat loader, but you can beat the price lol.. the nice thing about the 621 is they have a 12v cummins which is CAKE to work on.

8. mercer_me

I think that's why so many people buy those 621's. If you can get one for the right price then you should get one IMO.

9. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

we have a '90 case 680 with the extenda hoe on the back. has close to 28k hrs on it. i could get in that thing a year from now in the middle of january and it would litterally start up in 2 seconds. its amazing with these cases even in -10 degrees sitting all winter it doesnt even need to let the glow plugs warm up. they just start.

10. mercer_me

That's the only thing I HATE about the CAT 928G I run, it doesn't have glow plugs and if it's below 30 degrees it won't start if it's not plugged in.

11. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

A small rental place here was saying if I rent from them I have to plug in the backhoe. Said they had lots of issues with them last winter. Case 580 SNs even. Id be responsible for batteries and starters if I don't.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I never plugged my 906H2 in once last year. Fired right up every time. Not something I wanted to do but had no choice.

13. mercer_me

You must have glow plugs?

14. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Those case 621 prices don't seem too bad at all. There is a similar one locally coming available Nov. 1 but the want $45k with 7,000 hours.

I'd scoop one up for mid to low 30's.

15. John_DeereGreen

I'd be going round and round with them if they told me that...

I'm paying to rent their junk, so their junk better start when I need it. If not, they better get someone there to get it to start...

16. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Rob, We've had 2 Case 621's now, a '93 B with 14K hours, and a '06 C with about 6-7K hours. The '93 is gone now, but I would say it was more reliable than the newer one my brother still owns. The newer one is far nicer to run, but the older one just seemed simpler and more solid.

If you have decent dealer support, I wouldn't think twice about buying an older 621...........

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Thats why I kinda want to rent from Cat. But they wanna rent me a brand new 420FIT but but at $3500 a month. :eek:

18. rob_cook2001

That's why I am buying one.. I can't see paying the crazy rental prices.

19. John_DeereGreen

That's the same reason we bought one, and will probably buy another next season. I can't justify those rental prices when I can own one for 30K.

I'll take the gamble on having a mechanical issue, because even if it were a rental, we'd be down the machine for a storm.

20. rob_cook2001

I have been looking at a lot of 621b's. On Monday I will be looking at a 3500 hour 621zf.. can anyone tell me the differences between them? Do they still have a 12v Cummins engine? Thankyou.