1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on international 7400 single axle trucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by fatheadon1, Oct 7, 2013.

1. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Not sure if this is the right place to post but i think it will get the best feed back so here goes. Im looking at an 2002 international 7400 single axle roll off with 90000 miles allison auto 30000 lbs roll off set up the price is 48000 obo. im looking for info on if this seams like a good deal and if there is an common problems with this year and model truck. i feel like its old enough that the epa BS should not be there yet but the auto tranny is not my first pick. Anyone have any first hand experience with this kinda truck? i see tons of them set up as state and town dump/plow trucks so that makes me think they are cheap and Simi decent.
  2. Bird21

Bird21 Senior Member

Is it a stellar hook
    White truck, plow mount, salter set up
    if so I bought the 07 model check out the thread on pic forum titled " The eagles have landed"

great trucks if it is from the salt lake city truck sale
    short but set up real heavy duty
  3. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

this one has a 30000lbs American roll off set up with extendable tail. I saw the trucks your takling about an they are to short for my needs but look well built
  4. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

A 7400 is my top choice for my next large single axle dump. I have an 03 chevy 6500 with a c7 Cat and the Allison 3000 auto.

Its a great landscaping truck for use in mostly suburbs, light urban areas. The trans is great, but I wish it had more power. Its only 210hp. So I would recommend checking out the power of that engine. In something with a 33/36k gvw I wouldn't want anything less than 300hp with a 6 speed auto trans, 275 bare min.

If it was a 8 or 10 speed manual you could get away with 250hp
  5. Hegartydirtwork

Hegartydirtwork Senior Member

I work part time delivering heating oil/propane, all of our five of our trucks are Internationals, two of them are Allison autos. We have never had a transmission problem, I would consider what we do fairly rough service on a tranny ( slow speeds, steep grades, miles and miles in reverse) all we do is service them. The trucks are good, they don't break the sound barrier going up steep grades fully loaded, but when they need something done it is fairly economical. We had the motor rebuilt in our 03 last year after 16000 hours and I don't think it cost 4500 parts and labor. The 2011 we have is a rolling pile of garbage because of the dpf/emissions, it's been on the hook twice in 10000 miles. Between our 89,91,03 and 05 they have never been towed in, in over a million combined miles.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Autos have been on heavy duty trucks for a long, long time. Fire trucks, redi-mix, buses, etc.

The Allison MD and HD are very rugged trannies.
  7. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

What engine does it have?

I have an 2006 7500Series and just bought an 2005 7600Series. I love the Internationals they have been very reliable and cost effective for me.
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I drove an International 7400 with an Allison auto for Maine DOT. It had good power but, I wish it had an 8 speed instead of the automatic.
  9. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

thanks for the info guys. the seller sent me pics then stoped emailing me back so as of now i have no new info but i can share the pics [​IMG]

hopefully he gets back to me so i can go look at the truck as it seams to be 100% what i want and about 20000 over my budget so its perfect :help:
  10. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Pick up the phone and call him then. Looks like a nice rig.
  11. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

What engine it got? Probably a 530 or a 570. Both are pretty good dependable engines. Its a pre emissions truck so that's a plus. Not sure which ecm that would have, its right about the era that it could be either the single ecm or the ecm/idm combined. On the latter the idm is known to fail and that runs about $1000-$1500 to replace and program. Make sure if it has sat for a while that the turbo actuator isn't froze up.