1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on improving steering issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by grsp, Jan 17, 2009.

1. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

there have been a few posts talking about the steering problems that utility tractors have with snow pushers. you can add my brand new kubota m7040 with a pro-tech on it to the list. i guess my question is this. do you guys think that the slip hitch feature of the arctic will allow the kubota to be able to steer.better. i waste tons of time having to go back over areas because i had to lift the pusher to steer. and everyone knows, time is money. or would you guys go with the horst welding plow on this kubota. this is a brand new kubota, so i need to get this right. and the current set up sucks!!!!!
  2. maximus44

maximus44 Senior Member

I've got a horst 9ft blade on my skid steer. It is an angling plow with side plates on it(kinda like a pusher)and I can angle the plow when it is full of snow to negotiate turns.
    It works great!!. I would have gone with the arctic system for sure,but the never returned my calls,so I went to horst,and the have a great product.
    Just my (canadian) 2 cents. lol
  3. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I ran my JD 4520 (50 horse on a good day) with one of my 10ft artics the past few storms. I myself used it the last one.

I will say I should have made a video of it because it was REAL impressive. I used to run an 8ft normal rubber edge box on it and I had all kinds of trouble. Couldn't steer, couldn't get any traction or speed. It was terrible.

The only problem I had with the artic was I couldn't lift it as High for stacking. Mostly due to weight of box and snow.

I could push in C range (Road gear on a deere Hydro) I could push HUGE amounts of snow. I could steer as long as I was not loaded clear up. (Meaning cleaning around islands and cut outs) I have gotten used to making long straight runs with this set up before I put the artic on, so it wasn't any big thing to me to keep doing it.

Over all I think a 5000 series Deere (Simmular to your Kubota) would be a better choice for me (Larger frame, More weight) But an artic would Deff work better than what you have now.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  4. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

thanks for the info peterbilt. the kubota m7040 is 70hp and weighs around 5000#'s. it has no problem pushing a 10' pusher. do you have the HD or LD arctic? i would think the m7040 could handle the 10HD. but i would rather have better tractor response, than a bigger pusher. the time i would save being able to steer would greatly overcome the smaller pusher.
  5. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have the LD. Don't get a HD, its going to be way to much for your tractor. I was pushing piles as tall as my tractor and twice as long.the other night.

With the LD you will be pushing faster, instead of huge loads, slow speeds, and un-needed stress.

These artics weigh way more than a standard box. I noticed on mine that it was lifting the rears off the ground and in 2 wd it would just spin the rears because they were not touching much ground. So I ran in 4x4 and was able to steer. I hope adding a weight box to the rear helps. Now I am using a heavy landpride rear blade as counter weight.

I could only imagine what a HD would weigh in at, and what it would do to the front axles on a smaller tractor.

6. jd8430e

jd8430e Junior Member

The HLA 3200 snow wing would be a great fit for that tractor. It will close into a box pusher and still angle to help with turning. You also have a wider angle blade for windrowing quickly as well as a reverse box back dragging unit all in one machine!
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Tire chains at least on the front. I run 2 Cat loaders, one with 14 ft HD artic and the other with a 12ft Boss. I had trouble steering until I chained up both loaders on all four tires 8 years ago.. And I have never had any damage to the pavement, like some people think will happen.
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

9. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

My Deere 5105M wouldn't push an 8 ft rubber edge. I bought a 10 ft arctic LD nd it worked great. The floating hitch is a big help as well as the steel edge.