1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Favorite Brand of Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TEEJAY, Nov 26, 2011.

1. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

Hello,

I would just like opinions about what brand of plow does everyone think offers the best value vs. quality.

I am buying a new plow this year because I got a newer plow truck. I have owned a Western Unimount 7'6" for 10 years that I bought used. I have had very good luck with it, but it seems the new Western plows are a little more expensive than other brands. Alot of the guys I plow with are using Curtis Plows, which are a little cheaper, but they seem to have issues with breakage.

I am looking at another 7'6" plow with a steel blade. I am a subcontractor, so I would like a little better than just a "homeowner" plow. Any opinions are welcome. Dealers near me include Curtis, Fisher, Western, Boss and Meyers. The truck is a 2003 F-150 7700

Thanks in advance.

ussmileyflag

2. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

I like western and fisher...ive got a ultramount pro plow 8' but i like the trip edge design of the fisher's. The trip edge allows you to keep moving snow even when a non trip edge would fold forward and lose the push.

3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

For the $, SnowDogg has some great offerings. Worth looking into imo.

4. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I like my sno-way's the dp is great for back draging and I have A+ customer service parts are not cheep.
    what are you wanting to do with the plow. Now comes the fun witch plow is best. The only thing I can tell you. Buy what YOU like and who can affer you the best customerservice. You are makeing the purchase asking this is like witch is better ford chevy dodge
    hope this help

Dave

5. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

My .02$. As mentioned everywhere on this site dealer is key. As far as brand I prefer boss and snoway, Im just not a big fan of chain lift and am partial to direct only cause that's what I always have used well 90% anyways and used to it

6. Second Nature

Second Nature Member
    from Ohio

I've owned Western, Meyer and Boss Plows.

I'm forever done with Meyer. I consider them better suited for sale by Wal Mart.

I like Boss a lot. I think they build a very good professional quality plow.

I'm 100% going to Western plows these days. The Ultra-mount hookup is the easiest and most dependable thing going. Their paint work holds up better for me than Boss. I used to think the direct (cylinder) lift was superior, but now I see that chain lifts offer more versatility. After 5 years of service, my Boss plows looked like junkyard material, while my Westerns still looked relatively new. All my Western gear performs extremely well when conditions are demanding and it's time to roll.

7. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

I would look hard at what is most popular and has dealers close to you
    Also are there lots of old ones still working?
    I like Western but there are other good brands too

8. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

Fisher stainless xblades in my fleet. Never need a can of paint and the attack angle is fantastic. When ever I have needed help they get back to me right away and solve my problem. Gotta love those good ole Maine boys.

9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I order mine from the net so a dealer isnt big deal to me
    I run western,Boss,Coats
    Western Vplow is the thing nevers open up on a heavy load unlike the Boss Vplow I have and yes I do have the lock rams on the boss
    I do like how the Boss rides on the truck

10. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

I run all Fisher one xls a 9'6" vee and a traditional 9' straight all of them painted. i ownesd a couple x blades before, i agree awesome aproach angle on the blade but i constantly was welding the x bracing back to the moldbaoard. i live in an area that has a shitload of fish dealers so any parts that we might WRECK the dealers around here are guaranteed to have. couple of buddys run the boss v 's seem to be holding up.

11. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

douglas dynamics is eventually going to be making parts for all of them anyways

12. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

All of Them?????......Even Boss????......:confused: