1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on earlly/mid 2000 cummins diesels

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by buckwheat_la, Mar 9, 2011.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Looking at possibly buying a dodge (my first) 03-06 any favorite years, anything to watch out for?

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

03 to 05 is one body style and then 06 is a different body style

all of them are the 5.9

I think its 04 they offered the high output engine.

I have an 03 and the front end is way better then the previous body style (2nd gen) and the fuel pump issues are not there.

my 03 just passed 400 000kms. every dodge I have owned has had the tranny rebuilt at 300 000 to 320 000kms. I could almost swear its preprogrammed

always check the truck for codes. turn key on, offf, on, off, on and look in the odometer, jot down the codes and look them up online.

3. 48archer

48archer Junior Member
    from Ohio

I just traded my 03 in for a new 2010 and sort of wish i didnt. Dont get me wrong i like my new truck and the extra power it has with the 6.7 but the fuel mileage sucks. My 03 was usually getting around 22 miles to the gallon and my new one is getting around 15 so far. Most if not all of the 03s didnt come with a cat in the exhaust system either. The only thing i put in my 03 was a turbo back exhaust and a cold air intake. The trans did go out at 94000 miles but i count on that happening with any truck plowing. The only complaint i had with this truck was Dodge could have put better head lights in it and the blend doors in the HVAC system are completely crap, other than that it has been the most reliable truck i have ever owned.

4. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

In 04.5 they went to the HO engine.

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Test drive three trucks.... 03 first then a 04.5/05 and then the 06....... When testing out the 06 watch out for the perma grin while depressing the pedal on the right!!!!

When you return put a deposit on her(06). Life will be good!!!

6. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Buy the newest and lowest km truck you can afford. The newer the truck the more the bugs will have been worked out and upgrades done. These trucks can be very expensive to repair so an extended warranty may be important. The early '07s are also still 3rd Gen with the 5.9.
    Also may want to price the same truck in the US ... $$$. Good luck.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The 03 and 04 trucks will get better mileage. They have less emissions equipment on them, and, less power. The 03, 04, and 04.5 all come from the factory with the engine mounted fuel pump. It will fail early. The replacement is put into the tank. All 5.9's from 04.5 on are rated to the same hp and within 10 lbs or torque, so you won't notice any difference in power among those years. Lots of people complain about their seats, but I am pleased with mine. I would buy my truck again without hesitation. I believe some of the 03's come with the 47re transmission and I would stay clear of that.

8. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

03 -04 have power output of 235hp 250hp/450 and 305hp/555tq these trucks get best mpg
    04.5 all 325hp 600tq tons of power real easy to turn up power to 500hp becuase of 3rd injection unit but mpg suffers
    05-06 325hp 610tq same as 04.5 but some software update. Also 06 has updated interior over 03-05 and head/tail lights

And like JD pointed out real early 03 235/250 had the 47re. i would also be weary