1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on code scanners

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snatchal, Jul 18, 2013.

1. snatchal

snatchal Member

I just bought a 2008 f350 4wd with a 5.4
    Check engine light is on. abs light also comes on sometimes. Since I plan on keeping this truck for awhile I have decided to buy a code scanner.
    Any opinions on which one to buy? Do they read the abs codes as well?

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

If you have a few grand to spend, I would suggest a good used Snap-on Solus or Motis. Both are very nice scanners and will do everything and more than you will probibly need. The beauty of one of these scanners is they can be updated to keep up with newer vehicles. I bought a used Solus a few years ago for a grand and it is good up to 2005 model year vehicles. For another grand, I can update it to the latest program and have the option to diagnose 2013s and 14s.

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

if you have a laptop and are only going to be using it on your ford, i would say go with the auto ingenuity enhanced ford bundle from riffraff diesel.
    http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/m...ore_Code=RRD&Product_Code=SP03&Category_Code=

if you are looking for a hand held unit, the autoXray 6000 is a very good unit that reads just about anything made.
    amazon has the best price on it too.

http://www.amazon.com/AutoXray-6000...&qid=1374183140&sr=8-1&keywords=autoXray+6000

i have both. auto enginuity is used for anything ford, and the autoXray is for everything else.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would go with the lap top version soft ware. It seems to cover it all. It's a bit higher then some scanners I have seen. But, on a lap top you have a much better display and view.