1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on Boss V 8'2" vs 9'2" on srw truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Trike1, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Trike1

Trike1 Junior Member
    from wis

Getting a new truck and plow. I run Boss 8'2 v's, but I was thinking about going with a 9'2" on this new truck. It is a single rear wheel F250, and I can see pros and cons to both, but am now second guessing the larger plow.

Any comments on guys running the 9'2 plows? Are they huge up front? What about parking areas? Driving down road? Etc

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. pitrack

pitrack Senior Member

I have a 9'2 and I don't have any problems. There is one lot I do with bank stalls that I don't try going through, I let the other truck with the smoaller blade go through. It's nice having an extra foot though, I would buy another one that size.

3. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Owner of the company I work for is running a 9'2 with boss wings on his GMC 2500HD. He loves it. He cant drive with the plow in a total v, but even at that he has no issues going down the road and still does lots that are pretty dang tight with it.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

A Ford has the best front axle carrying capacity of all 3/4 and one tons. I wouldn't hesitate to go big. I would put about 750 lbs in the bed behind the rear axle though.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If you are working in fairly open places I wouldn't hesistate to put the bigger plow on. That extra 6" per side makes a surprising difference in what you can reach and overall productivity....

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Go big or go home. time is money, and the bigger plow is more efficient. I've got a credit union that my 9'2"'s barely fit through, otherwise, I would probably have wings on them too. Your truck will handle it fine, as others have said, ballast is needed though. Wing tips are very close to the ground, so sometimes extending them out slightly helps if riding down a bumpy road.

7. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

It can be done either way but shouldn't someone be asking if it's a Diesel or gasser???

8. JDiepstra

No....... why? :dizzy:

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gas or diesel doesn't matter. Weight difference between the plows is minimal, power isn't an issue.

Oh yeah, 9-2

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  10. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

9-2. Had this same debate with myself and really glad I listened to the advice on this forum.

11. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Doesn't the powerstroke motor weigh more than the triton motor??? It could make the difference between overloading FAWR and not......:dizzy:
    I'm not saying it's a big deal, but something that may want to be conisdered.......I vote for the 9'2. Just ordered up a 9.5' Fisher for my 3/4 ton Dodge with the Hemi. Go big or go home :)

12. JDiepstra

Then you should have got the Cummins :laughing:

13. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Ha! Good point! :laughing: I don't need a diesel though for what I am doing with the truck..........3 driveways, albeit 3 "roads" and some firewood. Nothing wrong with a diesel but I don't need it or the risk of high cost replacement parts. Gasser parts are cheap.

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i have a diesel and i have a 8'6" straight blade now but iam getting a v next yr, and i dont wanna get a smaller plow i wanna go bigger, so can i (5200 fgawr)

15. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I just installed a 9'2" VXT poly (852 lbs + about 100 lbs for truck mount) on my Dodge 2500 last night and I was surprised how well it handled it. I had even taken all the ballast out of the truck to initially go pick up the plow so i had zero weight in the box. It barely squatted at all when I raised the blade ... I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. With the blade raised and in full V I have about 6 inches clearance at the very tip of the cutting edge ... I was hoping for more but most trucks I've seen can't travel in V at all so I guess it could be worse. I'll work on that.
    I have a 2" levelling kit and extended Timbrens to match along with 33" tires. Can't wait to try her out now.

16. Sierrabarry

Sierrabarry Junior Member

Go for it!