1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions on best SMALL vehicle to plow with...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DCL, Dec 22, 2009.

1. DCL

DCL Member

We have a few trucks on the road but are realizing we need somthing small for driveways. We were thinking a jeep would be perfect but then we would have no use for it in the summer. Would a 4x4 s10 work? Just curious if anyone has some good advice. Thanks!
  2. Grisi24

Grisi24 Senior Member

Never used a Jeep but I have only heard good things about them... How small are these driveways you are talking about?
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we run toyota pickups, unbeatable for driveways other than a jeep but we need to bring salt and shovels with us so we stick with the toy's. we pack in a few hundred pounds of salt and a few hundred pounds of sand tubes for ballast, a toro CCR blower and a couple shovels/scrapers. works out great. they're twice as fast as our f350 in the driveways because they're so maneuverable and shorter. we also put wings on to control the snow more and move it quick with a 8'6" blade on a small truck.
  4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

These past 3 days I have done about 45 driveways with a crew cab 2500. Unless you have to make a 90 degree turn with a tree there you should be able to do it.

Edit...just realized you are in Newport. It can get tight with cars, traffic, banks and alleys.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

My old s10 Blazer, 6 ft Meyer works well.....I would imagine an s10 pickup would do as well......No idea about the newer ones though.
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The S10 Blazers were excellent. The S10 pickups are popular too. Even a reg cab shortbed pickup is pretty manuverable. Put a 7.5 Vee with wings on it, that's a driveway weapon.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have an old S-10 Blazer with a 6.5' Meyer poly plow on it. I have always said, it is a great truck to plow with. I can push right with full size trucks no problem, unless the snow gets real deep. I have pushed parking lots with 8" without any problems, but any deeper and you start bogging down real bad, not to mention the snow roll off with such a short blade sucks. As long as you are going to plow with the storm, an S-10 blazer should do fine.
  8. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

And of course, for a Ford fan, a nice Bronco.

9. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

i love my old man's 77 bronco. 6'6" fisher, and 302v8 :gunsfiring:
  10. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

The only problem you will have with a Toyota Tacome is trying to buy a used one. Since they did the buy back from the rusty frames all the ones left out there are almost as much as a new one unless they have stupid miles. You could look for a used Toyota t100 or tundra. Nothing turns sharper than a jeep, I wish jeep would make a vehicle like the Hummer h2 truck. That would be the best of both worlds.
  11. DCL

DCL Member

Thanks guys for all the input. I have decided to sub a bunch of the out to a friend of mine with a smaller full size truck. But newport gets real tough, may pick up a real small truck next season, we'll see,
  12. Screamer27

Screamer27 Junior Member

The company I push with has 4 Crew Cab 2500 Chevys, an f550 ford, a 1500 dodge reg cab long box, and I used to use a 1500 Reg cab long box Chevy with a st 90 meyer. We do an apartment complex that is sprawled out over 20 acres, a few town house associations, 2 trucking terminals and a few other smaller business. This year I sold my old Chevy and bought a K5 Blazer, I threw 3/4 axles with 4.10 gears under it, along with some modified leaf packs, and it runs on 33in tall tires. I run 600 pounds of ballest, and its about unstopable, I can move over 20in of snow, yet its small enough to that i can turn around in a dual width driveway if I have to. Here in about a week its getting a Hiniker C-blade to make it even better at doing parking spots at the apartment complex. Our fleet is running 2 western wideouts, 2 western 8.5 v's a boss 9.2 V, 8' straight western and my old meyer, so I do bank drive throughs, and the parking spots. The only thing that sucks about the K5 is the back window if in a storm, the rear window gets covered, and you have no wiper, and no defrost, so sometimes I plow with the window down. I also have a small JD snow blower in the back of the K5 ;) I wouldn't trade the thing for anything.

13. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

my s10 has been doing a excelent job these few snows I have used it on its a 98 so if that counts as a newer one then the newer s10/noma's r excelent plowing rigs.
  14. Screamer27

Screamer27 Junior Member

I used an 96 S10 blazer for awhile, great small vehicle to push with, but we always had a bunch of maintence in that poor little truck. Each year it would eat ball joints, and pitman/idler combo. We ended up getting lifetime warranty parts for it, and just got good at replaceing them ;)
  15. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

Toyota Tacoma if you can find a good used one. I've run mine since 01 when I purchased it new. Its a great plow truck. great maneuverability, you can carry a blower, shovels, salt etc. and the overall reliability is second to none.
  16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

A have never used a Ford Ranger to plow with, but I but a do know my Dad's 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 will go through deep snow wicked good.
  17. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

put a 12V fan blowing across the inside of the back window. one like busses and trucks used to run. that works good in my old man's bronc'
  18. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Best Small Plow vehicle

Well, you guys who know me know what I am going to say:

Jeep CJ 5, or CJ 7, with real leaf springs, belt driven hyraulic pump, and a manual transmission. Dependable, simple to fix, unstoppable and easy to get parts for.

By the way, real Jeeps only come with leaf springs.....
  19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

K5 Jimmy/Blazer is excellent and durable.

S10/S15 trucks and SUV's are also excellent

Depends on what you want, age range, price range, etc. Lots of options, all with plusses and minusses.
  20. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

The Dodge Dakota supposedly comes with 1/2 ton axles/transmission, so it would probably hold up well.