1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

opinions on 3500 dumps?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by durafish, Jan 22, 2013.

1. durafish

durafish PlowSite.com Addict
    from 02919

Thinking about getting a dump sometime this year and wanted to hear some of your opinions. I would love a older 3500hd but they dont make them in 4x4 and im not chancing that. Some people say 1 ton dumps are worthless and i should look for a f450-550 but im not to big on the fords. The big thing im concered about is the weight i want to be able to safley carry 2 tons. It would be a duramax also. Im thinking like 2001-2006.
    thanks

2. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

i know there was one on craigslist it had a plow and the only bad thing i saw with the truck was it had a 10ft bed on it and it was in decent shape. if interested i might be able to find the link

3. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

I have had several one tons over the years. Gas and diesels. Just sold a 2001 last week. We haul 2 tons of salt with no problem. I would go with the diesel or a large block gas.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Love my 3500HD.

We are in relatively flat country, so traction isn't hardly ever an issue.

Even when we had our blizzard in 2011, it did fine. I got hung up a couple of time when breaking through with the first pass. The snow was hitting my fisher snow foil and pushing the blade upward hanging up the front end.

I also salted all my larger properties prior to the storm to make sure to get good traction on the pavement. But I would do that with any truck.

Just took about 10 minutes or less of shoveling to get it free. Probably wouldn't of had to shovel if it wasn't the fact that I only had 800 lbs. of salt in the back. I need weight, but I didn't want to risk having a massive solid chunk of salt when I needed to use it.

Another key with my truck is that the previous owners put a posi rear in it and that I think is priceless.

10ft bed, and it it still turns sharper than my old 6foot bed cab and chassis F-350 I used to own.

Personally, anything past 01 in the 3500dumps I wouldn't buy. I don't care for the IFS suspension and the narrower front end. That and they just don't seem to built quit as heavy.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  5. durafish

from 02919

I'm sure the HD would be fine but there will be that one time when it isn't too fine. I have a couple 2500 duramaxes that carry 8 foot plows. On the dump I would mostly go with a 9 foot or a vee. Thanks for opinions though.

6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

4X4 is most certainly available and always has been.2 ton is not a problem regarding safety as long as everything mechanically is sound.Do check though for DOT purposes that you won't be over your door placarded GVWR.Having owned 3 Dmx's,I will tell you try to stay away from the LB7 version due to injector issues.The LLY or better yet,a LBZ version will be all the motor you will ever need.

7. durafish

from 02919

The older 3500HD were never offered in 4x4 and I know the lb7 aren't the best but they get the best mpg. Ihave two now and had have 3 alaltogether. Thank you.

8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Ditto, Monroe was the only company offering a 4wd conversion for them.

9. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We have a 97 3500HD dump with the 6.5 diesel. Great salt truck and landscape truck. Indestructible in my opinion.

10. durafish

from 02919

It probably is indestructible but I don't salt just plow.

11. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

Why is a 10' dump body a bad thing?

12. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Idk that you can legally carry two ton in a 3500. Pretty sure once you put a plow and salt spreader in it you're already close to legal weight. My advice is be careful with what you spend your money on if you're buying used. A 1 ton dump is the most abused truck on the market. Good luck in you're search.

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Your post was slightly confusing as you mention a 3500HD and the Dmax sort of as a combo.When most people use HD,they are referring to basically anything heavy duty,NOT the beast of a truck from old that came with serious azz components in 3500 form.So yes,I know it was never offered from GM in 4x4 trim.

As far as better mileage with an LB7 vs.a LLY or a LBZ in a dump truck,that is not true at all,but it's so slightly different it really isn't worth worrying or argueing about it.I've had all 3 versions and my present LBZ does indeed get the best MPG.

14. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

With the 10' bed would make it hard to plow in with lot size the bigger the lot the easier it would be imo.

15. durafish

from 02919

Sorry about that i was basically saying that a OLDER 3500hd would be awesome if offered in 4x4. And i do agree that the lbz is the best but i dont think that will happen. The lb7 are the cheapest and the oldest and is more what i will be buying. Once the injectors are done its a pretty solid truck imo i have two with over 200,000 that are great.

16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I think Ill be selling mine this spring 05 gmc dually dump with the lly duramax 70K miles...$15K
    Also have a 2 year old xls that can go with it for an additional $4.5K... it looks new and its literally plowed 2-3 storms as I use skids and loaders mostly

17. durafish

from 02919

I might if everything goes well. Just the truck though no plow right now.
    Just for the heck of it what color?

18. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

White w/ black body

19. durafish

from 02919

Is there a lot of rust, on both the dump and frame?

20. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have 95 3500 dually dump with 4x4, it is not an HD though.