1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dannoman, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Dannoman

Dannoman Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hey All,
    Turning 50 and starting to think of ways to supplement income as I approach retirement. I did a little plowing many moons ago while working at a station, but other than that have no experience, I want to start off plowing my own residential drive and the lot at where I work which is a small lot approx 40' x 120'. I don't want to invest a ton of money, but dont want to buy junk either. If things work out, I may pick up a few more residential drives, but plan to take it slow out of the gate. I was looking at trucks online and saw this one not too far from where I live. This would be at the top of my budget....would like to find something closer to 5k, but not sure if that will happen. Any and all advice, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Here's a link to the GMC near me....what do you guys think?

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/ctd/1922207970.html

Danno

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

First welcome to plowsite:waving:

That truck is pretty useless.:nod: for what you want. Under-powered, under-sprung and to small a blade. That is more of a jeep blade, extended cab full size pick ups should have at least a 7.5 ft blade preferably a eight foot. You would be packing down the snow with the wheels on every pass if you angled the blade at all.

For that money look for a 97-00 Jeep Wrangler with a blade.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  3. Dannoman

Dannoman Junior Member
    from Iowa

4. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Welcome to the site. IMO The Sonoma would work great for driveways. Small plow, small truck for small areas. Very workable. Price is way high for the year and miles. That Sonoma w/ 6.5 plow would not work for larger parking lots. The plow is too small. So if your planning on staying small, with small jobs, a sonoma would work. If your looking at growing into commercial lots, I would start with a full size 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck to maximize your options down the road. Also, make sure you have a professional tranny guy check the trans on any older plow truck your thinking about buying.

5. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

You'll want 4wd. wesport

6. Dannoman

Dannoman Junior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks pohouse....appreciate your help.

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i would like to throw in my $0.02 on this; have you considered subbing? i have a retired gentleman that works evenings running loader for me, he loves it, and i pay him some good cash, he uses my equipment, and i trust him not to drive it crazy like some young punks these days.

8. Dannoman

Dannoman Junior Member
    from Iowa

Hi buckwheat,

Guess I never gave subbing any consideration. Really just wanting to stick my toe in the water and see if it's something I enjoy. If I like it, maybe upgrade to a nicer rig as I approach retirement. If I don't like it, sell off and hopefully not take too much of a hit. I think we paid the guy that does our lot close to 3k last winter for snow removal. Granted, last winter was not ordinary, but if I could get half that and pick up a couple residentials, I'd be happy with that for now. Just doesn't seem to be alot of decent trucks in my price range.....may have to spend a bit more to get something decent.

Thanks again....great suggestion.

Danno

9. Dannoman

Dannoman Junior Member
    from Iowa

10. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

The sonoma would work fine for small lots and driveways, must get good maintenance though because its kind of a disposable truck. You REALLY need a 4x4 though. I know of a guy around here who has used those rigs for the last.... oh, 15 yrs or so.

11. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

the sonoma would do everything you would want it to do. Ive been plowing with my Jimmy for the last 3 years and it does fine (just plan on doing ball joints every spring). As far as commercial lots go, the size you talked about should be fine with that truck. I wouldnt give more than 5k for that truck though

13. Two Canoe

Two Canoe Junior Member

I am also trying to get some input. on what I should get. I am fro Northern Canada, we get snow here but not alot of real wet stuff. I also want a retirement business. I can afford good stuff . A new plow ok but a used truck. around $15K I am leaning toward a cummings diesel. let me know your thoughts. I plan on doing acerage driveways. I want in at Under 20k plow included. V or Wing I want a good plow and good truck.
    Bill Prince Albert SK Canada

14. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Lots of different responses here. I sure wouldn't go with the Sonoma though, that has no power at all. It wont last if you get into some deep snow with it. Tranny is weak in it and so is the front end. You said you were going to give snow removal a shot and if you liked it add more work in the coming years. Well, buy a big enough truck to handle whatever workload you see yourself possibly doing in the future. It doesn't make sense to buy something that your going to need to sell at the end of the season to buy something bigger to handle the work the next year. And don't buy a money pit. There are lots of good trucks that come along on craigslist in the midwest, just be patient. I would look for something late 90's in a 1/2 or 3/4 ton with a V8 and in 4 wheel drive.