1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions for the 2015-16 season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 16, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This HOA calls me every year to bid on it. Don't care for it because it's all driveways and a small road to the back homes. Every year they have someone else plowing it and I've watched them, They all do the same thing back drag and push up at the approach because there is not much room in between the driveways. To be fair they have no control over the main street because the town plows it. If I was to bid and to be fair to me:D I'd bid it with the use of a snowblower on a skid or maybe a back plow on the truck.As for the main road I have no problem running the lane to benefit me,

hedge ln.jpg

2. grandview

Here are pix from today

20150216_154305.jpg

20150216_154316.jpg

20150216_154345.jpg

20150216_154425.jpg

20150216_154520.jpg

3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like they do not clean right up to the Doors.

4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Town Plows the road???

Looks like a perfect property for an inverted blower to me....:drinkup:

5. grandview

The townhouses are the HOA but it's on a public road. Even though some of the drives are smaller and others are bigger the price is the same for everyone. The town plows the lighter looking road and contractor the darker ones.

6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Are they unhappy with the way the company is doing it now, other than the lack of cleaning up in some of the pictures.

7. grandview

6 yrs and 5 different contractors.

8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

What are they paying now?

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I'd flat out ask them why they've gone through so many. By the looks of the last few pictures they aren't very detailed. One thing about these types of places is your trying to keep everyone happy and thats near impossible. We had our big condo's for 8 years and babysat this place 24/7 and the one lady who we apparently pissed off at one point or another became president and looked elsewhere. Of course it's nowhere near as nice and neat now but as long as they're happy right,lol.:rolleyes:

10. grandview

These places are getting close to 20 yrs old,I don't think they ever complained,just bad picking. Their lawyer tells them not to shovel the sidewalks also.

11. Defcon 5

What makes you think they will be happy and content with you???...Seems like they have a track record going here.....:nod:

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

It might be just be my "downsizing" mindset, but I'd avoid the hassle of setting up the equipment and labor for a one year job.

13. grandview

Might as well get on the boat.

I have a guy who sits on his ass all winter from his other job so that's ok there.Equipment I'd go rent a skid and blower and build it right into the 1st payment do before it even snows, So if they want out it's paid for.

14. Defcon 5

Looks like a nice account.....For the right price go for it.....:drinkup:

15. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

The problem with condominium people, is that they want 5 star service, but only want to pay a 1 star price. And even then, they feel like you're screwing them.

That being said, that looks like a good place for an inverted blower.

16. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

Id say go for it. Since you have a available guy thats a nice site to keep a guy busy. A skid with blower or toolcat with blower would be perfect. Seems like a farly decent size property, do they want salted? By the pic you could probaly keep a guy busy there 4 or 5 hours or more. A job like that is nice because you should be able to make a nice chunk of money after you pay 1 guy to maintain it for you and you have your own route so your doing good. Go for it!

17. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

I agree, you have x many number of homeowners and everyone has something to say. We did a 75 unit complex years ago that was made up of mostly seniors and they were all home during storms and they all had special request's. Major pita if you ask me.

18. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

@Grandview. .. how many drives? 41, 42?
    do a rather complex development with my inverted. Do you have an inverted?

19. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Looks like a perfect per push account!payuppayup

Just kidding "King of all things seasonal":salute:

20. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Take some time with the contract. Pepper it with stipulations and exact scope of work. And shoot for a 3 year or better contract. Explain the overhead costs involved, get them to sign, and buy the machine..rentals have their place, but owning is better in the long run....you can rent it out if you don't have your own work..

What is that place worth as a 3 year seasonal? Wild guess for me is 10k a year?