1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions: Condo Price

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by kevin1000, Oct 22, 2012.

1. kevin1000

kevin1000 Junior Member

Anyone want to throw an opinion on pricing this? Here is the rundown:
    I have been plowing small commercial and residential for 6 years
    Ford F250 with 8 foot blade
    2 Toro snow blowers
    SnowEx tailgate salter
    Hourly rate: $100 - two men and the truck
    Local gas: $3.79 currently
    Distance from starting point: 1 mile approx
    Sidewalks must be salted
    Exterior sidewalk on two sides of the property - blue line in picture
    Area to be plowed - red line in picture
    Pricing will be 2" - 4", >4" - 6", > 6"
    Reason for asking: have never bid a condo

Thanks in advance

2. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Before asking us, sit down with your accountant and figure out what you need per hour. Seems way to low for the equipment and manpower you are putting out. You also need to figure out your production costs and I repeat your costs. You will get a lot of numbers thrown at your in answering your question but they are not taking into consideration your cost of doing business or your productivity level. I know you want more help but with out knowing the above you are really throwing a dart at the board and hope it hits the bulls-eye or close to it.
  3. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

may be a little under staffed on that one... most condos want EVERYTHING right now.. but over all HERM WITTE is right figure out everything first would be easier
  4. kevin1000

kevin1000 Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I agree that it is all about how much is my cost and then add my margins. Maybe what I was thinking about is opinions on how long you thought it would take to do with 1 truck and 2 men. Right now I'm guessing about 4 hours which includes salting at every snow.

5. Plowman52

Plowman52 Senior Member
    from Flint

are you just windrow everything to the outter side?
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

2 hours of shoveling sidewalks and a little in front of garage door so you can back drag it. 2-2.5 hrs to plow it out. 1 hr for outside sidewalk. Throw out a seasonal bid so there is no monkeying around with pricing,push the fact they can budget it.
  7. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

I predict that the outside walkway will be were everyone loses it. I predict that to be a nightmare of 24" deep refreeze. We tend to stay away from those, but we did one at one point and it was almost a full time job just keeping up with the walkways. Basically you are not done till the road is done and if you wait for the road to be done first you are in for a special treat. You do not say what blowers you have, but if they are single stage they are essentially useless. Perhaps seasonal for the interior road, driveways, etc. and a clause that will pay you hourly should the exterior walkway become excessive beyond natural fallen accumulation. That exterior requires a serious 2 stage at the least but more likely a tractor or atv setup to be efficient. Of course if you do not mind humping frozen or saturated snow for hours on end then it doesn't matter. In the end though it is likely an association so you'll bust your but trying to impress and do a good job and they will just put it right out bid again and again. Unless they are real good the winning bid will likely be working for free.
  8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You don't have the right equipment for that. You need something more nimble for the drives( skid steer or tractor ) or a pull plow. You'll be fine with your truck at 4" or less but more snow will cause problems for you. Skid steer with a plow would do that whole place and leave very little snow up by the garage doors. That translates into much less time spent shoveling or snowblowing those areas. Plus, you can put a bucket on it and move snow piles around when storage areas get full. I think 4 hrs is reasonable with what you have, but you could do it in less time with the right tools. You also may have to come back once the cars in the community parking areas are gone...more time spent. Looks like there are little walkways from the driveways to the front doors of each unit, those require lots of hand work and time. I'm gonna throw a number out there based on what I would bid that at in my area using my equipment. Based on 2-4" per push.

Snow removal from all walks and drives - 550ish ( if you don't have to do all the little walkways this could be lower )
    Salting outer walks - 100ish ( this number would be higher if you had to salt all the little walks )

I honestly don't know what that's gonna go for, but my guess is, less than the prices I gave.
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

On a typicall 4 inch snow - 2speed Skid Steer w/10ft plow & a good operator would have that done in about 1.25 hrs. 2 good walk guys should have all the hand work done & salted in 2 - 2.5hrs(that would include going around and "trimming out" behind the skid).
  10. WIPensFan

Sno, the alley with drives on both sides of the road will be the PITA. I think that will take some time because you can't just pull everything in the road and then plow it all to the curb like the other areas. You will be stacking and carrying snow here and there. Therefor, I think a "good operator" ( I know you meant yourself :rolleyes: ) will have at least a couple hrs in there.
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

:laughing: :gunsfiring:

Maybe so Wip..?..?.. Looking at layouts from google maps is nice, but being there in person would be the only true way to know exactly what your up against. I was just comparing it to a site we do that is MUCH larger, that takes one of my operators(repeat, "1 of my operators") on a avg 4inch snow, 3-4 hrs in a single speed skid equiped w/ snow tires and a 10ft wide attachment.
  12. WIPensFan

You are right about it looking different on site than google maps. Plus, you get better and faster with each time you plow the place. I have always worried about how I will do a peticular site in the worst case scenario ie...a big storm. Skid steers take away a lot of those fears on sites like this. Thumbs Up
  13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

2 guys with shovels to shovel by each garage door. Then they grab snow blowers and take care of sidewalks.
    1 guy in truck to back drag and plow street and salt. This would be minimum. I think based on time requirements 2 trucks would be better and safer if there is a break down.
  14. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

I do a Subdivision almost exactly alike for 1k for the first 4''