1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinions and info wanted

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by yellow78ford, Oct 22, 2005.

1. yellow78ford

yellow78ford Junior Member

I have a 1978 ford f150 and you may have seen some of my posts but I've been having a hard time finding a complete setup for the truck or atleast just the right brackets. Well I have made some progress and would like some opinions. First, I have found an ad an in the paper that includes a plow and a parts truck. It's a 78 bronco with a meyers complete newer style elec/hydro e47 pump. Thing is, its not actually made for the truck so the owner welded the plow frame right on the frame of the truck so it has to be cut off. The plow works great and I was able to see it work. All of that for $200 and I tow it home. Problem with all this is I have to find the right push plates and brackets for my 78 ford since i DONT want to weld it and rig it to the truck as the previous owner did to his bronco. Does meyer still sell the right brackets etc in order to mount this plow to the truck? I will try giving the local meyer dealer a call tomarrow. I'm sure brand new pushplates and other brackets needed will be very expensive though. Second ad I found is a complete fisher setup for a 78 f150 but not including a blade. Everything is there and correct, just take it off the sellers truck and bolt it on mine. All the brackets, upper frame, pump, and hydraulic pumps and pulleys are there. Problem with this is the engine on the truck is blown so I can't test the pump. Another problem is it is the older hydraulic engine driven setup which most have told me to stay away from. Another problem is he is asking $300 for all this and I can't even test it so that's not too insuring. Is there a way to see if this works without a running motor? Probably isnt. Any other opinions will be appreciated.
  2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Thats a tough decision. Both have obvious pros and cons. I think I would go with the Fisher set up. Here is why. All my F-250's had the belt driven pump. I loved it, NEVER had a problem. The big plus is simply that mount is made for your truck. Like you said just bolt it on. I would not want to monkey around with that welded on Meyer rig. It may work great, but what good is it to you if it is stuck to that truck. Sure, you could cut it off and try to rig it on your truck, but I think you'll spend more time and money and aggrivation getting it attached correctly to your truck. Back to the Fisher rig, those blades are everywhere and they are a dime a dozen from what I have found. If you are good with a welder, you could really make any brand of blade fit. You would just have to weld on the "ears" or "tabs" that connect to the mount. Go with the Fisher set up. My 2 cents. :drinkup: