1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion: What are your feelings on using a Tractor

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redman6565, Sep 29, 2008.

1. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone ever attempt to use a 4x4 Farm Tractor with a pusher on a commercial lot before? If so, did it work out or was the machine too big?

2. Neige

Neige Sponsor

They are awesome. What kind & size are you thinking about, we use 90hp to 120hp. If its bigger than that JD Dave can help you out with advice, he runs the really big stuff.:drinkup:

3. redman6565

Its a 1974 International 4386. I built a special pusher for it (16 ft. by 6 ft depth x 6.5 ft height). I think it will work out great but I wanted to see if anyone else has any input.

4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you are using the bucket to push the snow you will need chains. I have used a 2003 4x4 40hp John Deere and an old 4x2 50hp Alis Chalmers. Neither one of them are any good in the snow and when the bucket fills up it will just sit there and spin. So if you use a tractor you should put chains on it and a blade that angles.

5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

That is a huge box pusher your talking about. Then again thats a monster tractor, I think 230 HP. You will be fine without chains. I think your mold board is very high, just harder to look over. Show us some pics when your done.

390-td3a.jpg

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I know a Canuck over in Ontario who was running them big ass Case machines with giant "pull boxes". Not sure if there still runnin em after they had one stolen in the middle of the day.

7. redman6565

haha well i hope no one "runs" off with one of my tractors. I have the inner/back tires loaded with calcium for weight, plus tractor weights on the back as well. my thought is that the machine sits during the winter so rather than buying another loader this coming season, I wanted to give that a shot. I figured it'd be a nice anchor machine for me at this one shopping center I have that's 1.9 million square feet.

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i think it would work well......i seen a MF (400 cummins) with a big 20 footer for sale last year.....i don't see how you could beat thoes old tractors for the price.... dollar for dollar it's gotta be the cheapest HP out there by far..

9. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

all you need it 5-6 ton in weights!!!

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you are pulling it you'll probably make out all right. It seems like a big blade but I have an MX 255 with a 16 ft pusher on the front and it does well but your end plates are bigger so it will carry more snow. Avalanche actually makes a 20 ft pull type pusher and they have an 8760 Deere pulling it, so you should be fine.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wow 6.6 ft high with 6.5ft end plates, I'm not so sure now that I think about it, that'alot of snow. Take some pics of it, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

12. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Correct me if I am wrong. But, doesn't a 4386 have a stick shift? Thats goint to suck clutching and shifting. Most the big red headed girls. (IH 4x4) i have operated were like that, and all wore out so the did everything the hard way

J.

13. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I did some quick math, that plow must weigh around 4 tons, it has the capacity to push 37 yards at a density of 10lbs per cu. ft thats 5 more tons. Thats way much snow, but I still think it will handle it. Its been my experience, once you reach a 4 foot moldboard, the snow wont fall over your plow. The snow will cone in front, and then start falling of on the sides. I hope you have a big, wide, open area to work in.

14. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

As far as I know that Canuck is still doing it. :)

15. redman6565

The tractor is a stick shift but the lot we're using it on is huge, 1,900,000 square feet of asphalt. My goal is to have this tractor be my work horse, I want it to take all the snow and move where it has to go. It's not going to be edging out around islands or doing anything else other than balls to the wall pushing a ton of snow. I have three other loaders and two other pick-ups on the lot to do all the nitty-gritty work and feed this big machine. I posted a picture of the tractor under an album, i think you have to click on name to access it. The machine is bare right now but as soon as we are done building the pusher and have it mounted on I will take a picture and post it.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Well a 43 acre lot would be good for a blade like that, hope it works well.:drinkup:

17. redman6565

so do i haha. but i'll keep you informed, it will definately be an "adventure" for the first couple of plow runs.

18. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i bet you'll need some font end weight. and may have to flatten the tire's a little.

the old international's werent verry heavy, and they werent power houses either. so we alway's used steiger's. so i don't know how well they push. but their are ALOT of articulated machines with blades out there,

best of luck

PJ

19. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

PJ. Those old Ih 4x4s were Stiegers. Just crapped up and painted red. everything but the cab and hood was stieger. I have been around way to many of them with the red flaking off the frames, and that ugly azz green showing through.

J.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The new ones are still Steiger's but I thought the 4386's were still an IH but I could be wrong, I'll take your word for it Pete.:drinkup: