1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by blueline38, Jul 8, 2010.

1. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

This is an '03 F350 Lariat with the 6.0D and just over 100,000 miles. The dealer has already bypassed the egr and is asking $18,900.00. Edmunds has this truck at around $24,000.00!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  2. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

tell the dealer you want it for 12k out the door tax title and plate's or your going to turn him to the EPA for bypassing the federal mandated emissions system and braking the law...

3. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Ha ha ha, anyway I would be weary on the 03 that was by far the worst year for the 6.0.

4. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

did you ask why he bypassed the egr, surprised that he would admit to doing that. I think he is asking to much. Is it a Lariat or FX4?

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Think long and hard about buying that truck.
    Working on a private ambulance I have seen way too many 6.0's die. THey hit 120K miles and stuff seems to start going wrong. True the squads have many drivers and are driven like we stole them. We had very few problems with the 7.3 over many years.

6. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

That is really a nice truck but who knows loks are not everything with over a 100grand on it i would look for something or see how cheap you can get it for those trans seem to go to i heard alot about those trans going so lok at it carefully for that kind of money i would look around a little more though you probaly find something just as nice maybe with less miles on it. Check craigslist
    .;)

7. MickiRig1

I found mine on Cars.com Being NY they should be around.

8. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

Thanks

The mechanic at the shop said when they get any 6.0, if it's not bypassed then they do it. I did research a while back and a huge problem with the 6.0 were with the egr. Many owners get the truck programmed and delete the egr or bypass it. Apparently, doing so solves many of the trucks problems! Oh, and it is a lariat with the fx4 package. I had a 2002 f150 that was the same package.

I've been looking and the price is in the ball park for the shape the truck is in. This dealer buys his trucks south so most are not damaged from our weather up here. I also do not plan on buying any truck without an extended warranty.

I browse cars.com as well.

Thanks for the replies. He also has a 2003 with about the same mileage but with the 7.3. It's extended cab but has a long bed which i'm not really looking for. It also is all cloth. I'm not sure what he's asking for it but I have heard the 7.3 is bullet proof and can easily run for 500,000 plus miles!

9. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

f350 with 7.3

this is the f350 with the 7.3. it has 98,000 miles on it and he's asking the same price.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  10. Reliable Snow and Ice

better truck than the other one

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I like the crewcab better and wouldn't be very scared of the 6.0. You NEED to run an OASIS before you buy it- there is someone on here who can help you with that.

There are good and bad 6.0's, if it has 100k on it with minimal problems, it should be a reliable rig. I'm pretty sure, not 100% though, that all 6.0's came with the Torqueshift which is a great tranny!

12. MickiRig1

I have not seen any of our 6.0's get tranny's yet. I will ask the mechainc's monday. The 7.3's no doubt have OEM weak ones.

13. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

I replaced a tranny on one of our 2000 7.3's after 270,000 kms of plowing, pulling and salting. We have another one with 450,000 kms-original tranny,

Having 6.0 and 7.3 in our fleet, and knowing how many problems our 6.0 has had vs the 7.3- Id buy the truck with the7.3.

14. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would choose the 7.3 over the 6.0. What year is it?

15. Reliable Snow and Ice

hey does any one have an extra 16 inch 8 lug rim that would fit an 86 F250

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Ford does not recommend putting a plow on Crew Cab Diesel trucks at all. Too heavy.

17. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

go with the 7.3. Yes the dealer did delete the ERG because that is the common problem to the 6.0 PSD. Every tow truck we have with the 6.0 PSD has been in the shop numerous times. I finally convinced the boss to do an ERG Delete on all the trucks!

18. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Go with the 7.3 truck if you are looking to plow with it. Also, make sure it has the 5200 GAWR as this signifies a snow plow prep pack. On the gas engines, it was only a spring upgrade, but on the diesels, I believe they fit a larger trans cooler and a different fan clutch.

19. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

truck

Well it looks like I can't get enough on my trade to make this deal work (without rolling a whole lot into it). I will wait some time and pay it down more. With that said, I ran the crew cab through Fisher and they recommend a 7'6" HD plow and they base their numbers on a fully loaded truck. With just a driver that truck is more than capable to plow with!

20. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

I just ran through the Western quick match software which is basically the same. They say only a 7' 6" and nothing else. The Boss site says "Ford does not reccomend putting a plow on this truck", and will not let you select a plow. I really would not do a 7' 6", as it is not wide enough to adequately cover the width of the truck. At an angle, it becomes even worse. I would say shoot for an 8' minimum. I know Western has some really nice straight blades in the 8' and up variety. Your choice. Hard to say without knowing what size jobs you are looking to do.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010