1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on Skid Steer for Winter

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by turfmasters, Dec 18, 2012.

1. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

I have looked at 3 different brands and models. All are new 2012 models. 1st is a Bobcat S185the 2nd is a Bobcat 650, and the 3rd is a New Holland L223. The S185 has 60hp, the M series 650 has 74.3 and the New Holland has 73hp.Both the New Holland and Bobcat 650 have the cab forward design while the S185 is the older style. Now in the Spring of 2013 all Bobcats will have cab forward design. All units have enclosed cabs with heat and pilot controls.The skid steer will be used for light landscaping duties as well as mulch and soil. The main purpose for this unit will be for winter. Plowing snow and removing large snow piles as well as loading small dump trucks with salt. I have taken dealer location and service into account as well as price. My question is as follows. Which machine is the best for my application with the BEST service record of least amount of problems and down time?

2. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I own both new holland and bobcat I personally am use to the new holland but dealing with new holland dealers is becoming a pain so I bought a bobcat 650
    The 650 is a great machine for snow for your use sounds like an over kill
    My nh 885 starts great in winter my nh l185 is not so great starting in winter
    Bobcat starts great
    Me I say bobcat but go with what you can afford I know bobcat is $6000 more than new holland

3. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

The Bob Cats both had the best interior. Very comfortable for me at 6'1 and 220lbs.The Bobcats also had a sound protection cab and was super quiet. Yes you are correct about price.

4. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

I should have made it clear that when I mean snow plowing it is only for cleaning up parking spots when the cars leave. I have plenty of plow trucks to handle plowing in lots.

5. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

So the smaller bobcat will be fine but if you can afford the bigger 650 which is also heavier check your trailer always buy biggest machine you can afford

6. jdilliplane1

jdilliplane1 Senior Member

bobcat

If you don't mind me asking, what was the price on the new holland and bobcat s185 you were getting? S185 down here was just a tad under 35 with a 3 in 1 bucket, not sure if the prices are different by you

7. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Are any 2 speed

8. BigJim12

BigJim12 Junior Member

I just bought a 2012 New Holland L225. So far its been a great machine for me I like the comfort of the cab they really did a great job making the cabs lager and quieter. its a smooth running machine and fires up every time. I looked at the L223 but it did not have the lift capacity i needed. I have spent alot of time in a bobcat s650. I have no complaints on the s650 has plenty of power ran smooth nice cab the only thing I don't care for with the bobcats is they put rubber stops in there bucket rams so you cant flip material into your bucket like you can with a New Holland.

9. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Bobcat S185 was $37K with all the bells and whistles, but No 2 speed.Bobcat M series was $46K all bells and whistles and 2 speed.The New Holland L223 was also fully loaded with all options and a 2 speed and that was $42K

10. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

The only dealer that would give me service on my site was Bobcat. Also the Bobcat dealer said that if they take your machine in for service you get a free loaner until the repair is done.They will pick-up and drop off at any site. The New Holland dealer said I would have to come to them for service.

11. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I bought a newholland L225 last fall quiet comfortable great visibility and moves snow .Lot of room in the cab to strech out alittle

12. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

it sounds like you are in the same boat as me as far as how much you are gonna use the machine and i feel if you are not gonna run in everyday why buy new? You can get low hour machines for 7500-10000 off msrp sometimes more. Either way i have run s185s and i have 2 s650 right now on snow rent i like the older cab myself but both are great machines the 185 will more then suite your needsas it has a ton of power for a small frame machine. I ended up with a used 09 a300 that will be delivered in about an hour and saved a ton of $$$ for a like new machine with 750 hours

13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Go with the S185-K. :nod:

You won't be disappointed! :waving:

14. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Purchased the Bobcat S185 this morning.I did like the fact that the ass end does not stick out like the new M series.Also had them pt on the 73 inch buckett. The 68 inch was just a little to small.

15. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Good luck you will be happy

16. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nice choice!! Thumbs Up :drinkup: :nod: :salute:

17. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

That right there made my mind up.

Get the M650 with the two speed, if you're doing any snow work a single speed machine is tedious.

18. turfmasters

turfmasters Member

Thank-you everyone for the time spent to reply to my post.

Glenn.

19. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Good choice on the 185 but the single speed might annoy you. But the smartest thing you can do is have them take the 73 inch bucket back and get 2 buckets. A 68inch dirt bucket and a 88 inch snow bucket. The 73 will be to big for dirt and to small for snow. Post some pics.... and trust me you will thank me on the buckets, make sure to get bolt on cutting edges for both.
    Robert

20. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

^ Good advice right there. Get some teeth for the 68" bucket if you plan on doing some serious digging too.