1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on plow "Wings"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow Meister, Oct 16, 2001.

1. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

I just want to get tally on likes v/s dislikes on those 1' wings that you can put on your plow for supposedly better coverage. I think I am going to buy a pair to put on a Western 7 1/2' Pro on a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9L engine.

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

love them ,worth every penny

3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search. These have been discussed here ad nauseum.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Since I am new to this group I think I should be due a little slack. I have now been contacted by you and also a moderator. I now know to look for such threads before I start a new one. Thank you for the concern.

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 16, 2001
  6. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Meister

I read most all the stuff on the wings. Seem like the guys love them. I would have bought some this year, but have a 7.5 western poly. They only work with Steel from what I have read. Imagine we have similar red plows too. :)

Take care, and it was a pleasure talking with you today
    Jay

7. ddm

ddm Member

I have used the pro-wings on a 7.5' Meyer poly plow and they worked great!!!!!!!!!

That's the first plow I used them on and was sold after that.
    I don't think they take the place of a V plow with all it's capabilities, but I think they increased efficiency of the straight plows at least 35%.

To put them on the poly plow, I bolted the brackets with one bolt through the center of the angle iron rib; was pretty hard to drill it but with a longer bolt it worked well. The other bolt I just drilled through the poly molboard and bolted to that.

I used them on that plow for 2 years without any problems at all. I also have a friend of mine with a Western poly plow who later did the same thing with his. 3 yrs now on that plow and still going strong.

8. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

ddm

Did you use any kind of big washers or anything when mounting the wings to the mold board? I just don't want it to weaken the board to the point of failure.

Thanks
    Jay

9. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

You can mount our wings on your poly plow with out any problems.

Rod

10. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Meister....
    I suppose I should have said something more like.... read the threads at the top of the Snowplowing Discussion Forum before posting, as is requested of all new members.... but I thought I might offend you. So I was just abit more to the point. I thought that I WAS cutting some slack as I didn't want to embarrass you by stating the obvious about reading.

My apologies.

11. lawn and stump

lawn and stump Junior Member

I put wings on my 7.5 ft meyers and hardly ever take them off
    they are a must for circle driveways and plowing parking lots
    great for plowing around parked cars.
    A little tough getting threw my 9 ft garage door at home but can be done by angling the plow.

12. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I put a set on my plow today. It was 80 degrees & sunny here in Phila and just about everybody who passed my house had something to say............aren't ya pushing it?...........know something I don't?.....ect. Could have had them on alot faster if I didn't stop and talk with everyone. Anyway can't wait to try them out. I also had a few guys stop to check them out , think I sold a few sets. Next year it's going to be a urethane edge for sure. This is only the second season on this edge and I plow res. only so my plow is up more than down. More toys!!! I love this place!!!

Mark

13. plowguru

plowguru Junior Member

Sidewings

Keep in mind that “shorter” blades were designed for lighter trucks for several reasons, including the tendency of the added length to “crab” the truck off the path. Other reasons are the weight factor of the longer blade considering the weight carried by the front of the truck. Heavier weights may over load the front axle.

There is a new wing for pickups now being made in Canada that mounts in the “middle of the truck, behind the cab, which gives better weight distribution to both axles when plowing. It also folds up against the side of your truck for transport and “getting it in the garage! It is called the Sidewing and can be viewed at:

http://www.Sidewing.net

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Plow wings work great on smaller trucks. I run them on a 6.5 Fisher on my Toyota and they work fine. Saves a little weight over going to a 7ft or bigger blade.

Wings will not work well on smaller trucks (less then one ton) To make the wing work without moving the truck you would need a lot of weight in the back. This would mean increased wear and poor mileage. I have seen wings on one ton and bigger trucks. Does anyone out there run a sidewing.