1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on lifted ford f250 for plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Big Ryan, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Big Ryan

Big Ryan Junior Member

I am starting plowing and i have a 2006 ford f250 powerstroke diesel with less that 30k on it. Its lifted 6inches but i want to know if i should take the lift off? I haven't used it for plowing yet but will start in 2 weeks. I have been fortunate enough to have money to invest. I will be doing 80-100 Residentials and i want to get a plow and a back plow. I would appreciate anyones opinion regarding the lift. Also would like thoughts on if anyone had a free truck and plow setup for residentials what would they go with? I am not biased to Ford or Chevy as i've had good luck and bad luck with each brand! I am not opposed to trading in the truck and getting a whole new 2010 truck and plow set up.
  2. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

if you have the money, trade the truck in for a truck with no lift. Then purchase a 8.2 V Boss and Pull plow. I've never ran a pull plow so I cannot recommend a brand, however this setup would definitely be a money maker in residential and you can also pick up some commercial.
  3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

If it were me I would get a low mileage 2004.5 - 2005 Dodge Ram Diesel with a 9.2 Boss V on the front and a a big Ebling on the back. Or I might even get a Blizzard plow with the power wings.

I prefer those years of Dodge because it has the best seats and interior, and has no major mechanical issues to speak of.
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Your truck without the lift will be fine. But If I was to go buy a new truck to plow with it would be a 09-10 F-350 Reg cab long box or excab shortbox with a 6.4. Boss 9.2 VXT. If you delete the emissions equipment they get good mileage and have great power. I have no experience with back blades so I will leave that to someone else. If its your daily driver throw a leveling kit and nice tires/wheels on it and have a great truck.
  5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

if you really wanna keey your truck, my opinion would be buy a boss for it, one of the easiest brackets to modify to fit the lift on the truck i have no experience with back blades!
  6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

so are you just getting into plowing and you already have 80-100 driveways lined up? thats a lot to bite off even for a seasoned pro. and there is definetly a learning curve to climb when it comes to plowing. with that many driveways you should really have a second backup truck and probably a second driver too. not saying that one person and one truck can't handle it, but if you don't get to the 100th customer until 20 hours after the storm ends, they aren't going to be pleased. and you can own the latest and greatest $60,000 plow truck, but that doesn't mean a backup will never be needed.

just some friendly advice not to get in over your head.

anyway, as the concensus here seems to be - get rid of the lift.
  7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you want to do only residentials then get a Jeep. they are so maneuverable that you can cut the time to plow DRIVEWAYS almost in halve.
  8. tattood_1

tattood_1 Member

I plowed with my 90 K5 Blazer with a 6" liftfor 3yrs. Just gotta watch plow angle. Dont wanna fold it under your truck.
  9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Taking on ALOT of work for your first year. JMO
    Get rid of the lift or get a different truck.
    For just resi's an F-150 or a Jeep will work great.
  10. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Wow you must have set a world record for starting out with that many driveways I have never heard of anyone going into a first season with a 100 driveways.................... I just took a look at where you are from and upstate NY is not know for light amounts of snow even if all these driveways are small but you get 2ft of snow in a big storm how long do you think it would take to plow them????? I realize alot of guys on here are used to plowing 4-8" of snow and often quote times that way, but where you live you are going to get dumped on and I will tell you one thing if you can plow 100 driveways even smaller ones with a couple feet of wet snow in them in a day you are going to be one tired pup when you get the last one done........................... GOOD LUCK your going to need it.
  11. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

No offence, just curious, how does someone in buffalo Ny, start plowing 80-100 driveways at the end of January???

80-100 driveways for 1 truck is immense... unless they are within a very small radius, and even then, good luck!!

I do about 31 varying sized residentials and 5 fairly small parking lots and it takes me about 10 hrs to do my route... Mind you I cover a very large area (about 25 miles)

12. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

agreed!!!! your truck is not going to plwo with a 6" lift!
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  13. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How is a Jeep with a 7.5' blade going to do a driveway faster than a truck with a 9' blade? Much less almost twice as fast? Or better yet, faster than a truck with a 16' blade on the back? I could see in some tight areas where the smaller turning radius would be an advantage, but most driveways I come across are straight.
  14. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say remove the lift, or just purchase 4" coils. Most 4-6" lifts for your truck are basically interchangeable and require new coils and spring pack/block. That should really be it. With a 4" lift and some smaller tires, you should be fine with a plow.

80-100 is a ton, hire a sub for some of those. JMO
  15. atclarkson

atclarkson Member

More maneuverable... you don't have to jockey around as much, and on the drives that aren't straight they would be a dream