1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on Boss Sport Duty on GMC 1500?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Kollerman, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Hey guys,

I am looking for your opinion on this. I was on craigslist today and found this ad:

I have been looking for quite a while to find a good plow to put on my 2000 GMC 1500 and I after talking to numerous people, most all of them said to go with a Boss. I just wanted everyone's opinion on this plow. I am looking to get a setup for next year and I think this might work well for what I am looking for. I will be plowing some larger driveways around my area as well as a couple small business parking lots (quite small lots). Would this Sport Duty plow be sufficient or would you recommend that I continue to look for at least a Standard or Super Duty 7'6" plow?

2. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Hi Jeremy,
    I would highly recommend you continue your search for a Super Duty Plow and pass on the sport duty.
    It is a good plow for an intended use of a private driveway, but is in no way designed for commercial duty use. A NEW 7'6" Super Duty blade from my local BOSS dealer is about $4300, and a Sport Duty blade is almost $3900. The $400 difference is money well spent!
  3. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I have run the sport for 2 seasons now and it has not let me down. This season I have been plowing the **** out of it to boot. People say go bigger, but for a 1500 its just about perfect. Its actually built leaps and bounds better then the standard duty meyers I had on my last truck.

My only gripe about mine is sometimes it seems to trip to easy. I am going to remedy that soon and then I think it will be near perfect. If the price is right, go with it.
  4. Kollerman

Kollerman Senior Member

Big Ford,

I spoke with a couple guys about the sport duty and that was the same thing they told me. It seems to trip a lot easier especially when you are pushing a lot of snow. Are you planning on putting heavier springs in or how are you going to remedy this?
  5. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Heavier springs... I should have thought of that. I was actually going to pull out the welder when it got warmer and add a third trip spring in the center. Adding stiffer springs would probably do the same thing, and involve less work.
  6. Onebadbowtie86

Onebadbowtie86 Senior Member

Try and find a standard duty, just incase.
  7. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

I am surprised the prices are so high now. I bought my 8' super duty trip edge plow minus the truck setup for 1500.00 beginning of 07 season. It was about an 05 blade that was mint. Actually is still mint. I must say boss blades hold up alot better then fisher blades even with the storm guard. The paint seems to crack and rust alot quicker......damn fishers ha. But i would recommend the super duty if you can find it. There more sturdy and more bang for the buck especially at 2500.
  8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I have a 7-6 super duty on a 1/2 ton and it's fine.

You should be able to find a clean used one for 2000 to 2500 with everything......if you can't.......keep looking.
  9. chris42683

chris42683 Junior Member

I have a 7'6" standard duty on my 04 GMC 1500 ext. cab I have had it for two years, so far this year we have had 60" and are expecting another foot tomorow. I do about 20 driveways and 2 medium sized parking lots, I wouldnt buy another plow for a 1500. The only thing I recomend is to buy the Timbrens for the front and rear because you definitly need a 6-700 lb ballast.
  10. marioazcats/nh

marioazcats/nh Junior Member

Just curious, which plow did you end up getting? I'm looking into getting a Boss Standard Duty on my
    1500 gmc. I plow around 16 or 17 driveways, lots of them gravel. Had a Fisher before and had good luck
    have heard good things about the Boss so I'm willing to give it a go??
  11. marioazcats/nh

Does the Standard Duty trip easy?? How's it holding up to NE winters???
  12. chris42683

chris42683 Junior Member

Standard Duty Boss

The Standard Duty Plow has an adjustable trip edge. I havent adjusted my trip edge at all, It came from the dealer pretty stiff, seeing that All I do is parking lots and driveways it works fine for me.

My Boss is holding up pretty well, the only problem I have encountered is that I snapped a pin off in my wiring harness. I bought a new harness but havent replaced the old one yet because I ran a bypass on the old one. I will wait for a nice warm day to replace both of my plugs at about $45 each. This is the third season I hav had the plow and knock on wood I havent had any other problems with it at all.
  13. marioazcats/nh

Thanks for the info! Boss no longer sells a Standard Duty trip edge only the heavy duty. I'm a little bummed out about that!! O well I'll just have to settle for the Fisher. :(
  14. chris42683

chris42683 Junior Member

I have seen a few Fisher HT series blades on half tons around here, I havent talked to anyone who owns them. They make a decent plow. on thing I did notice is that most people who have them could use a set of timbrens because their trucks sag about as much as mine used to before I put them in.