1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion on a Gator 855d power sterring

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Drewster2012, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Drewster2012

Drewster2012 Senior Member
    from Ma

Im looking at the deere gator xuv 855 Diesel and a boss utv straight plow.what do you guys think??

2. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

You will most definitely want the power steering.

Good luck with the diesel, stay away from the 825.

3. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

Had a diesel and an 825i at my old work place. Diesel was a dog. it was slow as hell. The 825i was quick and powerful. Plus it was nice not having 2 separate fuel types on site to deal with. The powersteering is a must tho!

4. Drewster2012

from Ma

So 855D a bad choice??

5. guff1972

guff1972 Junior Member
    from kansas

the 855 diesel still have good speed they just aren't as snappy as the 825i. Both units will pull good and have very good pushing power when weighted properly.

6. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

i would not plow with a gator. they do not look like they can handle the weight of those bosses

7. Drewster2012

from Ma

Yeah they can there is tons of videos on it

8. ScubaSteve728

i know they can ive seen the videos and they do squat quite a but must say the kubota looks like it handles it better

9. Drewster2012

from Ma

I'm a kid and a kid needs his toys... kubita can't go off road and is 10k more

10. ScubaSteve728

very true
    do you want the boss striaght blade? prob weighs less than the v in the videos that ive seen anyways. however you really dont need a boss other companies make good blades too

11. Drewster2012

from Ma

I want a straight blade and in spring on of my friends dads co has to order it'd plows so when I order mine we will get a discout

12. gottaloveOT

gottaloveOT Senior Member

We have 2 2008 620i Gators with Boss Vs and 2 2012 825i with Boss Vs. The 620is were night and day difference after we got the power steering installed.

I see the 855 has the option for the John Deere power steering unit. That is the one to get. Do not get the aftermarket Electra-Steer steering that can be installed at the dealer, it SUCKS! our 620is have this and they have been nothing but problems. The JD steering is variable so the faster you go the tighter the steering gets for better stability. One finger turning. Plus, for us to buy the 825i Power Steering Gator it was actually cheaper than buying a non-power steering Gator and having the crappy Eletra-Steer unit installed.

I do agree that the suspension on the new Gators is quite soft though. With the plow on the units do drop a bit. But when plowing there isn't a problem. These plow like tanks. We also have salt spreaders on our Gators and we had to redesign the mount because the suspension was so soft the mounts would drag on the ground when going up curb cuts on the sidewalks.

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

They do, but not great.

Because videos show how long the machine will last and all the breakdowns and repairs? Or at least the potential for them?

The RTV's can't go off road? You may want to do some checking before making blanket statements such as this.

The RTV is the machine to get if you want a dedicated work UTV. The Gator is a crossover that fits more in the play mode than work mode.

Wish I could\would have gotten the OEM power steering.