1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

opinion needed chevy 2500

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HoveysLawnCare, Oct 12, 2008.

1. HoveysLawnCare

HoveysLawnCare Junior Member

My f 350 4x4 dually is gone. I only have an 03 chevy siverado 2500hd but is only 2wd, with a short bed. Am I crazy to put 8.2 boss V on it? Think I will be okay with adding weight. Maybe only for 1 season or untill can buy a truck just for plowing? Or Do I go trade it in?? Love the truck, pure luxury leather, bose, etc hate to get rid of it. I know the 2wd drive thing has been beat to death and will do some extensive reading, I just have little time to prep.

2. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Your crazy if you use it. You will be stuck all the time. Get a fourweal drive.

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

No way that V plow are heavy and that chevy 2500 HD will lose traction easy. Until you have lot weight on bed then it would work but will spin easy. But if you have little snow in Indiana then it would be ok but not great in lot snow or try stack in V plow it will have trouble much.

For me I would have straight plow it little light than V plow. I would suggested you need think more before try do this but can you trade that for same one with 4x4?

What happened to F350? Sold?

4. HoveysLawnCare

yes, 350 sold,had to lower monthly payments on a few things. I may try to trade off or sell the V plow and get a lighter weight straight blade like a sno way or something. I had one of those before with down pressure and liked it, or keep the V and still look for a reasonable priced old beater or good reliable 4x4 to put the v on. Man that bites, I may have to sit this season out.:(

5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of plowing will you be doing? I have a friend that used some 2wd trucks for plowing, and he said that they were fine with a lot of weight in the back. I think if your doing lots, then you'd be fine, but if your doing residential drives, you may have a problem.

6. HoveysLawnCare

All commercial BIG lots.

7. HitchC&L

HitchC&L Member

I honestly think you would be better off just trading the truck in for a 4x4, a lot less risk in that. Because it all might go well until you get the 2 wheel squeel buried in snow and dont make it to your accounts, or worse yet get in an accident

I say bite the bullet, lose the leather and get a 4x4, you might even be able to get a loaded up used 4x4...I did

8. lawnmasters2006

lawnmasters2006 Senior Member

i live in lower central Michigan..i plow most of the time in 2wd...saves the truck an gas..but i also have about 600lbs in the back for weight..really dont need 4x4 until u need it ..you know wht i mean