1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion: Backdrag or pull plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JFon101231, Jan 27, 2012.

1. JFon101231

JFon101231 Senior Member
    from CT

I have a backdrag edge I bought used for $120 that I'm about to mount on my 8' Fisher. I also see Daniels or other pull plows for sale around $1k from time to time. Are those really that much better? Seems it would be more work most of the time by having to consolidate the front/back pile, or having to turn around to push/stack w/ the front blade when done. Maybe someone who converted from backdrag to a pull plow could comment.

I only do a handful of driveways right now as a side-gig before or after my "real" job, but next year I'd like to add 5-10 more without a huge time investment (a few close neighborhoods) so I'm trying to figure the best bang for the buck.

Jeff

2. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

Backdrag edges are helpful, but in no way do they scrape as clean as a back plow with down pressure.

3. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

back plows can get up to 16' wide. wider if you build it yourself

4. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I like the pull, but I have a sander in the back of my 2500HD so I just got a back drag today. Post a pic of your back drag for the fisher if you could. There are a couple different ways to do them and I'm curious about others.

5. LawnGuy110

LawnGuy110 Senior Member

get the back plow...more downforce so you get a cleaner surface afterwards

6. birddseedd

why would you want a cleaner surface?

7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Don't you think the customer wants a job well done?

8. birddseedd

depends on the customer. some dont care as long as they get it for free.... im not fond of certain peoples that want to get stuff for free.

nor the oens that make me work on the floor in the dark because they are so cheap they actualy remove the bulb from the light after turnign it off...

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What in the fracking world does any of that mean? :eek:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  10. birddseedd

hehe. means its getting late and i need sleep in case we get snow. Thumbs Up

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Corrected for accuracy and forum improvement.

12. birddseedd

if tha tis what you feel you need to say.

13. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

wtf? half of that made no sense...

14. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

QUOTE=JFon101231;1431908]I have a backdrag edge I bought used for $120 that I'm about to mount on my 8' Fisher. I also see Daniels or other pull plows for sale around $1k from time to time. Are those really that much better? Seems it would be more work most of the time by having to consolidate the front/back pile, or having to turn around to push/stack w/ the front blade when done. Maybe someone who converted from backdrag to a pull plow could comment.

I only do a handful of driveways right now as a side-gig before or after my "real" job, but next year I'd like to add 5-10 more without a huge time investment (a few close neighborhoods) so I'm trying to figure the best bang for the buck.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

I told a guy on here awhile ago that backdrag blade wouldn't be worth it. I was wrong, it works well for driveways and breaking up compacted snow and ice. I use the backdrag on commercial lots near the entrances and parking spots. Very good choice to have.

I've never used a pull plow

15. birddseedd

QUOTE=JFon101231;1431908]I have a backdrag edge I bought used for $120 that I'm about to mount on my 8' Fisher. I also see Daniels or other pull plows for sale around $1k from time to time. Are those really that much better? Seems it would be more work most of the time by having to consolidate the front/back pile, or having to turn around to push/stack w/ the front blade when done. Maybe someone who converted from backdrag to a pull plow could comment.

Jeff[/quote]

yes using a pull plow on a lot means yo have to pile the snow after you push it. which for really small lots might take as much time. but if your lot is a decent size. say over a 20 minute job with just a front plow, in this case what you want is a 16' wide pull/rear mounted plow. now you cut your pushes in half. you will save enough time from that, stacking the snow at the end will still save you lots of time.

16. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

backplow with downpressure removes the sleet or the snow / sleet combo where backdragging the blade will just skim the surface.