1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Sticks, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Had nothing to do today, so my buddy and I tackled this project. The unit was about 3 inches to narrow so we had to re-work it a bit. The salter came with the truck, its in pretty good shape.

We have to still

- grind smooth
    - paint
    - hook up hydro's
    - hook up clutch pump
    - install tank and filters
    - all the in cab controls
    - test it out
    - Fluid film everything !

Here are some pics!

2. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

more pics....

3. DeVries

DeVries PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like someone did some cross border shopping, congrats, is that the low rider you just got?
  4. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Yeah... the International Low Pro
  5. mvhauler

mvhauler Senior Member

Nice verticals.
  6. Rock Boat

Rock Boat Member

looks like nice work but where you stepped it out the gate will not open all the way

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You wouldn't want or need it to.
  8. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

Yeah, it opens about 10 inches i think that is more then enough... it is chained to only open that much.
  9. Rock Boat

Rock Boat Member

i have a tailgate spreader on my truck and that gate is not opened enough trust me you need it to open to the back cover gate when folded down covers the auger you get salt that is wet and chunky it will never make it to the spreader to get ground up and trust me you don't want to be out with it jammed up to the top of the tailgate in a snow storm and if it only opens 10 " you want to get as much salt to the auger or you will be spreading like 20 feet and have to load the spreader agian here is my truck in a thread look at my gate
  10. Rock Boat

Rock Boat Member

you need to look at where the step in is and its right over the motor though's motor are only like 3 or 4 " round and that tailgate is around 2 or 3 " wide sound when it hits the chains it will only open to where it drops down to the auger or right before it
  11. Bill Rowe

Bill Rowe Member

Nice truck & salter.
    Rock Boat is right though, you will want the gate to be chained open to the auger cover when you are salting for all the reasons he listed. You don't want to be stopping to raise the box to fill the hopper all the time. I'm not a fan of driving with the box up for reasons I'm sure you can imagine. Sometimes if the salt is wet or chunky & the gate is not open full it will start to bridge across the gate & block the salt from getting into the salter.
    You will also want the ability to open the gate fully at the end of your salt run & you have salt or sand left on the truck....you'll want to be able to just dump it out of the truck.Also if you want to use the truck to haul anything else, you can leave the auger cover closed & just dump whatever over top of the cover.Will you haul your own salt to your storage site? Will you haul something for someone else? It's a good idea to keep your equipment as versitile as posible, I figure.
    Don't leave you clutch pump on when you drive between properties as most of them are not made to run at the speed & rpm on the road, more the slower speeds you would be driving in a lot salting.
    We have 2 mounted on F550's right now & had one on a 5 ton in the past. We've used this kind of set up since the mid 90's.
  12. Sticks

Sticks Senior Member
    from Ontario

here are some pics of the opening gap...

pic #1 - the max i will run the truck up.

Pic#2- No chains and the tail gate open on its own or under the pressure of the salt.

Pic#3- Chained by a stopper

you guys think i will need more space then that?

13. Rock Boat

Rock Boat Member

sticks it opened more then i thought it would but it depends on what type of areas you are salting if its small lots then you might be ok if you are salting large areas then you will drive your self crazy loading the spreader the more salt in the spreader the farther you can go these truck don't hold alot of salt to begin with and with a small tailgate the spreader will not hold alot in the spreader and the other thing salt collects moisture even though you have it covered and when it gets wet it will crust over and can get as hard as a concrete block if not harder i have a wireless back up camera mount on the head board of mine looking into the bed and out the rear of my truck even with mine opened all the way up the spreader still gets clogged with chunks of salt i also carry a 4 ft long fence post so i can poke at the chunks to break them up