1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Operation 924G Cat Lightbar Install.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 4x4Farmer, Dec 10, 2009.

1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Well, heres what I have been working on. Made a really really good swap at a local dealer for this light bar. I wondered for a long time what to put it on, and it came down to that it would look pretty sweet on one of the cats. I know what will be said about it, is that it is to low profile for that tall of a tractor. Oh well, were going to try it anyways. All I have to do is go to the cat dealer this morning and pick up my 24-12volt convertor and finish wiring her up. I'll get some video when im done. Custom made switch box also.

lightbar.jpg

switchbox.jpg

lightbar.jpg

switchbox.jpg

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

i'd like to see a video of that in action!

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Looks good, can't wait to see it done and working.

4. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

NICE, looks clean!

5. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

verry nice

6. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Thats gonna look nice in this years plow videos!

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks very nice.

8. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

yeah, shes a done deal! It looks pretty sweet on there. Now we just need some snow so i can get some video of it in action. I ened up redoing the switch box casue when I got all the wires hooked up it wasent deep enough. I took a regular junction box for a home, and I bought a full cover for it and just drilled holes in it for all the switch's. Painted it grey. Turned out pretty good.

9. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Looks really good

10. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

How about some updated pics with it on and everything?

11. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

ok, so after about 6 hours of operation the lightbar was barley turning, and my headlights were getting dimmer and dimmer. How many amps do you think this thing is drawing? I have it wired right to one of the batterys on the cat. Maybe the way I have the switch's wired in? Do i need a bigger alternator?

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

that bar is pry pulling 20 amps. I don't know what those loaders alts. are rated for either. I bet you are pulling way to many for it though. Do you have a voltage meter inside the cab of that thing? I bet if you put a mini led bar on that thing it would do just as much as that fullsize bar.

13. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

How old is the cat, how many batteries you have in their, you have the 10 gauge red and black wires on the bar going to the battery, same thing with the control box.

14. fireboy6413

also which battery do you have it running off of. Also is that the mx7000 or the excaliber

15. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

The light bar is a excaliber. There is no main power wire going to the light bar. Just all the individual wires. I have a wire for the left side rotators, one for the middle rotators, and one for the left rotators, I have all three of those tied togeather to one switch. I have a switch for the center two ambers on the front and rear that just flash back and forth, there tied togeather to one switch, then there is a wire for the front corner strobes, and that runs to one switch. Then I have a wire for each alley work light, both the left and right are tied togeather to one switch and then I have the front and rear work lights tied to one switch.
    I have 12g wire running from the battery, up tp my control box in the cab, it then goes into a main power switch which powers up all the other switches and then sends power out to each function.
    I have not looked at this for the week as I have been busy at the farm all week. I'll have to check to see what the alternator is rated at. I guess thats where I stand for now. Any input would be apperciated. Thanks
    Nick

16. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

12ga for that bar sounds small to me should be a number 8

17. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

24 to 12 converter?.......explain?...

also...where are your grounds?

also your alt is a 80 amp..........OUCH
    http://www.kellytractor.com/eng/images/pdf/earthmoving/wheel_loaders/924g.pdf

feed that box a 6g or 8g wire......and give it a hella ground all directly from the battery....and if the loader has a "run" battery and a "start" battery feed bar off start battery mabey?..

i'm not totally sure on the cats.....but that 80 amper is never gonna keep up with head lights, the bar, the heater, ect.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  18. fireboy6413

4x4 12 gauge is way too small, you want 8 gauge, You wana take a 8 gauge cable from the battery closets to the alternator, then go to your box

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

despite the size of the wire being to small that is not why his battery gave out.

know that after you invest the 8g wire and such the alt may still not keep up with that bar...

20. chuckraduenz

chuckraduenz Senior Member

ill bet that bar is drawing more like 30amps at full lighting.