1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Operating cost of loader backhoe?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by eortheain, Oct 17, 2003.

1. eortheain

eortheain Junior Member

I'm thinking about buying a loader backhoe and use it to push a 14' snowpusher.

The machine I have in mind is a Cat 430 (or something similarly sized from Deere, JCB, Case, Komatsu, or New Holland).

The machine would be used mostly (by far) in the winter. On an annual basis, I figure about 150 hours of snow work in the winter, 50 hours other work (landscaping, plumbing) during the rest of the year.

I'm thinking that I would be best off buying an used machine; maybe a '95 with 2000 hours on the meter. I'd use the machine for 5 years, after that I'd either sell it or keep it as a backup machine.

What kind of regular operating cost should I expect from a '95 machine with 2000 hours on the meter and used for 200 hours per year? Is a '95 machine likely to need any major repairs between 2000 and 3000 hours?

Thanks for any thoughts!
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well 2K hours is not really alot of hours for a used machine I never really thought of that with my machine.