1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

opening drives when plowing subs?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by terrapro, Aug 30, 2008.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

do you guys price your roads for subdivisions to include going back and opening up the end of the drives you plowed in?

i was asked this the other day and never thought about it before that. i guess if you added an extra 5 minutes per 2 drives it could about be calculated like that. 20 drives = extra 50 minutes. i dont think they would agree to the extra price though, for 20 drives thats like an extra $100.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What a can of worms:eek:

What do you do if there's stuff planted on both sides at the end of a drive. How far is far enough. "you pushed more of X's drive then mine." "can you push a little further in?" you tore out my wifes, Perennials, statuary, bushes" "You blocked, hit, my mailbox"

you'd really have to back drag it out then move it down the street. not bad with a Vee but could take more then 2.5 min. a drive.

Now you have 20 people to satisfy with your handling of their personal property. you could double that time on the phone:nod:

Better idea (IMO) is to offer each on a driveway contract, cut them a deal (knock of 5/10 bucks) from your normal drive rate because you're already there and then you don't have some yahoo coming in and trashing up the streets when he does the drives. I hate it :realmad: when some guy comes in after the developments plowed and cleaned up an spreads driveway trailings all over my nice clean roads

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Nicely put Basher.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i think if i understand your question correctly, that some ppl shoveled or plowed there drive way... you the private contractor are hired to clean the street? no , i would just put the plow down and to the right, and drive, thats what the city here does, they dont sub to anyone

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's right always forward never look back.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

yep, streets are the easy things to plow... im sure if theres any MUNIs on here, this will get them going. but i personally think plowing steets is way esyier than a parking lot , or at least 85% of the time

NEVER LOOK BACK, who cares how many drives you plowed in or mailboxes you hit, look back and you guilty of something

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Thank You!:blush2:

8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

I smoked a mailbox of the person across the street trying to do this very thing, backing up on an angle to get a shot at the junk at the curb, lesson learned.

I was hard to plow them in at first, then it became business (always was)

9. elite1msmith

from chicago

but if a cute girl is out shoveling you stop to help right?

10. Indy

Indy Senior Member

yep, I'm a sucker, a woman or anybody older, some of the most fun in this business is getting a drive when they don't expect it. Did one last year I will likely never forget, felt like I gave em a gift, situation was just right and the right thing was to do it, I am sure a bunch of guys here would do the same (I hope)

But as far as the paid to plow stuff that leaves and edge at the curb...unless I make it hard to pass, I keep rolling, but like the guys said above, where do you stop?? you could be touching up 30 drives, that you did't plow.

So yea if its gross, I clean up my mess but just a trail, not so much.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I plow 2 townhouse complexes. There are sidewalks on one side that we have to clear and nothing on the other. I start by plowing the side walk side towards the non sidewalk side and plow the entire street this way. Lets say I have had my share on confrontations.The ends of their driveways have quite a bit of snow. These are gov't assisted housing so there is not much they can do, that is the way I was told to plow them.

12. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

hey just ask yourself this. does the town plow the top of my driveway out when they roll the snow onto the top of it. no they dont so why do you have to if they arnt your accounts.

we plow a lot of roads. and they are easy.

we plow a cul-de-sac and all of the driveways on it (about 20). to begin there are no houses at the end of it just the turnaround. we send 4 light duty trucks 1500s to clear the driveways push it all right into the street. then we roll the snow from the outside of the road to the middle with a dump truck. and then push it all to the end with a loader and then scrape the road up with the dump truck and salt it.

that way no cleanup in the drives.

idk if you have a cul-de-sac or an actual road. but try different methods if they are your accounts. if they arent hell with em.

13. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

im pretty sure they were asking just to know if i would and what the extra fee would be. the liability for the end of the drives like landscaping and turf would be an issue that i dont want to be involved in though. im just going to give them a price for the road only.

thanks for the replies

14. Double C

Double C Member
    from Montana

What is the going rate for a subdivision plow job?

15. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Round here all the street plows just go fast enough to throw the snow about 20 feet and so you don't get anything at the edge of the driveway.

16. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Round here, (central Indiana) the city owns the property from the house side of the public sidewalk to the other side of the street, to the back of that sidewalk, so technically the bottom apron of the private drive in on city property~ thats were it gets crazy sometime, homeowners say thats mine and the city says, thats mine, until it's maintenance time then the gloves are off.

17. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

$15, $50 if she has teeth:jester: