1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Open Office

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by McGaw, Feb 8, 2010.

1. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have used or currently use Open Office? I've recently started using it for school work, and just realized it has data bases, and you're able to create things like client lists, employees, employee tasks, etc. Looks kinda cool.

Adam:drinkup:

2. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I can appreciate the freeware approach since your in school and MS office will put you back a couple hundred off the shelf, HOWEVER, I don't know how compatible these files will be with most of the business world currently.

If you are dealing with management companies and commercial properties, these people have invested in multi-license copies of MS Office, so you can bet they will be using them long after the trendiest younger generations have moved on to freeware anjd other lesser know programs.

If you will be doing business with these companies, you might be better served learning their language. When you begin to swap and tweak contracts multiple times over email, then compatibilty will be your friend.

I did not research your product other than to see that it's free, and maybe it's not a big issue. If it works for school and it's free, then use it. Just my .02

3. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

I've used many programs out there and have them. I asked about open office simply because it is free, and for smaller company's such as myself, is more than enough to keep track of things.
    My understanding is they are compatible with just about everything. I don't know much about computers, but was told to give open office a try and see what I think. I just thought for smaller companys, maybe they could take a look at this.

4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

open office is 100% compatible with every major formant used out there.Easy to save as an MS format needed. We automatically save in a MS format so we don't have to think about it when sending attachments. We switched all of our systems over to it 2 years ago, no more MS, no more headaches except for still running windows :)

5. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I sell computers and we put open office on every machine. Its free, its easy, you can update it all the time. Also it always opens the msoffice doc's. Which is really good cause schools are always changing the versions and if kids dont have the same version then they cant open work. OpenOffice does it all.

I personally do not like the office2007. Everything is moved around.

I have not done any databases, sorry

6. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

I have used open office for years. It does everything I need and saves in an MS office format with no issues.

7. crabbybob

crabbybob Junior Member
    from 01440

I use open office on my Linux box. It's great for reading MS office files but I've been bitten by formating issues with complex documents I've sent to co-workers. Things like the drawings didn't come out right, or the headers were messed up. It could be because I was going from Linux to MS but now I always go back to MS if the document or spread sheet needs to be opened by MS office users. At the very least I'll verify a Linux/OO generated document in MS before forwarding it.