1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Open center backhoe on closed center tractor

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by jb1390, Feb 24, 2011.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Can I use an open center, skid-steer backhoe on a closed center tractor? ( I know I shouldn't, but I am wondering if a can). My neighbor has a new holland LX665 with a case backhoe (don't remember the model number-small, approx 7 foot maximum depth). I have a John Deere 300 industrial tractor-which has much better ground clearance, and wouldn't tip as much as the skid (the backhoe makes it very front heavy). I have auxiliary hydraulics on the tractor that come off of a closed-center valve. The valve locks in one position when desired, which would be when I want to operate the backhoe. I would disengage the valve when I go to move the tractor to a new position. I know that I will cause some heating of the fluid, but it seems like if the 'hoe is in fairly continuous use, that it won't be too much of an issue. Is this something I can try without destroying my machine?