1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by farmertim, Jan 18, 2003.

1. farmertim

farmertim Member

IT SNOWED!!!

sort of.
    we got 1.75 inches of snow or powered sugar not sure which last night, and lots of wind.
    I had two accounts to do and checked up on the south shore homes to see if they blew in, they actually blew clean so I visited a few other customer to say hi and let them, know im still alive and caught a few account entrances along the way home and in that 2 hours I managed to break the A frame and lose a plow light.
    Glad Its not snow'in.
    Anybody ever rebuild a uni mount 9' A frame?
    or know of anybody who makes a heavier one?
    It broke the tounge, haven't pulled it apart yet to see the damamge.
    And no I wasn't bashin things around just bought the plow used in Oct and this is the first chance I've had to use it.
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

For what the a frame costs, i think id fix it once, then buy a new one.If you notice the smale a frame fits the 7,5-9 ft pro plows,so the 9 fts must put a lot more stress on them ,and break then faster.
  3. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

sounds like you had a bolt loose where the A frame meets the quad.my buddies did the same thing.they need to make that piece bigger and wider i feel.the push frame needs to be wider also.
  4. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TIM....What kind of plow do you have ? Curious to
  5. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

its a western dude
  6. farmertim

farmertim Member

Well given the fact that the Western A frame is the same from 7.5 to 9'It looks like the tounge can't handle the stress from the length of the 9'blade.
    The bolt holes were worn out enough to allow the blade at an angle to basically pull through.
    The bottom angle iron will be able to be fixed easy enough but the top plate will have to be re-made on monday.
    They use less than a 1/4 inch steel but the plow mount allows for at least a 3/8 or even a 7/16ths plate update.
    It seems alitle lite coming as is for that big of plow, but it is the only thing I can complain about, though it looks like it is going to take me awhile to get use to the electronic control pad, its all in the wrist now!!!
    Thanks for the info...

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Tim, I had a similar problem with a Western from 1980, if this is the same style as yours. What I did was upgrade that part with a piece of channel and 3/8 flat stock to mimmick the set up on the pro plow. It didn't give me any trouble after that.
  8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

TIM......thought so....a few years back i nailed a
    curb and bent my A frame piece. More careful and
    more experienced now ! Also had a problem with
    the A frame ends where the plow pins held it to the
    plow support on the truck frame. My bud fixed that
    up with some fat flat steel and mig welder. I got 10
    hard winters outta that plow ! Sold it to my bud and
    he uses it daily.....My new ultra mount works fine..
    No probs yet !............................geo
  9. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's common on that plow.The problem is the "tongue" or pivot area,is to thin,and the pivot bolt wears right threw it.It's hard to beef up as the area where it fits into the quadrant isnt deep enough.

If your going to repair it,don't try to repair the end of the tongue,or weld a bushing on to it as it will come right back off.Once the metal is stretched it's toast.Cut off the old tongue,and weld on a thicker one,made from 3/8 carbide.For the piece of angle on the bottom,box it in and weld a tall bushing inside it.You can also add a second tongue t9o come up over the quadrant to help too.Don't use a real hard bolt (grade 8).Better off to use a grade 5 and replace it every once and a while when it starts to bend.Also keep a spare in the truck.Less wear and tear on the a-frame with the softer bolt.Also don't overtighten the bolt.I've seen a lot of these plows with the bolt reefed up,so the bushing gets crushed and then you get metal on metal wear on the tongue.That will wear it out real quick.Check the weld where the two pieces of angle meet while you have it out.By the time the tongue wears out,this weld is usually near broken also.

61345 is the part number for the western a-frame if you decide to replace it.Keep the old as a spare and get it beefed up in your spare time.
  11. farmertim

farmertim Member

Well thanks for all the good info.
    I got the plow fixed and back together this AM for 35.00.
    My welder didn't have the carbide so we went with a 3/8 flat stock and cut off the worn out piece and welded in the heavier stock.

It should last as long as I want the plow, the only thing I don't like about the Uni Mount is all my jobs are residential and only 5 of those are paved and it seems the uni bounces around alot on the gravel.
    I hope it gets better when and if a base is made when we get some snow.
    Thanks Again
  12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Good to hear it's fixed at least,it should last for a while.Gravel is a PITA,with any plow.It will get better when it freezes up,as long as it isn't too rutted.