1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ooops

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by TimSully88, May 3, 2015.

1. TimSully88

TimSully88 Junior Member

Got in an accident a couple weeks ago and bent the ear on one of my push plates. Maybe a little under 45* from 0* (22.5* I suppose). I could heat it and straighten it, but is that recommended? The local installer obviously suggested I buy a new one from them. Any input?

Thanks,
    Tim

2. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd buy new. Never know it could bend again after being straightened

3. NHresident

NHresident Senior Member

if its bent up down its pretty much all done BUT if its only bent left or right Ive heated them ON the trk cherry red with a rose bud torch and just gave it some with a 12 pound sledge and that made it useable believe it or not to buy just one plate costs more than 1/2 of what a entire kit would cost one is about 375 when a kit bought in NH is about 575

4. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

There is a guy in Hooksett NH that is on craigslist that straightens bent plows and mounts. He fixed my Blizzard mount 3 years ago and sill works fine. He only charged $100.

5. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Somehow.....Someway....Somebody will find a way to blame Fisher for this...Most likely it will be a Boss owner......:laughing:.....:drinkup:

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Birddseedd wouldn't even bother straightening it.

PS How can something be bent up down?

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I would heat it and straighten.

then check the strength

it is breaks...buy a new one.

8. TimSully88

TimSully88 Junior Member

I think i'll just heat it, its a bend towards center. The installer said its now weakened and would be a concern for stress. I really don't think there is much stress on the pad eye, that's just for the pin to lock into. The load gets transferred through the bracket to the frame. Please correct me if I am making false assumptions.

Thanks for the input.

9. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Yes, you hit the nail well grass hopper, I concur. Good luck.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Amazing things can happen in accidents i guess

11. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Try releasing the pins with the plow up, then you will see how much stress is on the pins. That being said, we had one that we bent back and plowed all season with no issues. This was even with the weight of an XLS.

12. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Heat it and straighten it, installer has his head up his A$$, he's just trying to get into your pocket. It will work, been there done that so I know.

13. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Hate to open an older thread but..... I just bought a new xv2. I put it away and sometime in April I tried to install my homemade front hitch that uses the fisher mount. I noticed my right "ear" had a slight bend inward. On closer inspection there is three welds that have cracked, two on one side and one on the other. The right ear has started tearing at the top. Can they be welded back together? Or should I put a new used mount in?

14. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

15. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

It's been high school shop class since I did any welding, but if my memory serves me correctly (it usually doesn't) I don't think you can weld rusty metal very well. I believe before I chanced having the plow fall off in front of me going down the interstate, for no more than they cost, I would put on a NEW mount bracket. JMO

16. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

We bought a used setup and the pushplates were bent in slightly and we stuck a piece of pipe in the pin hole and adjusted it to where it needed to be.See if you can adjust it without heating it up.Heating it will make it weaker.If it were me I would adjust it,take my little sandblaster and clean up the rust where it needs to be welded,weld it and throw a coat of black paint on them so they look new again.

17. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Thanks guys for the replys. My mount is an 07 mount, it's definitely showing signs of rot. I think last year I peeled off some thick layers of scale before painting it. I'll see if I can find a good used one. I think the new style mounts won't work with my custom front hitch because they only have the square reinforcement on one side of the ear.... Plus the weight of my 9'6" xv2 would probably just crack them again.

18. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd like to see some pictures of your front mount

19. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

Yer wish be granted sir....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. 07PSDCREW

07PSDCREW Senior Member

[​IMG]