1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ontario Plowers which light Blue or Orange?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mrmagnum, Nov 2, 2008.

1. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

It seems it was discussed a little last year about which is the "right" warning light to plow with but I would like to know what light others are going to use this year since the cops are using blue/red combos. I like to use my strobe during storms while going from place to place because I think it is important when you have 7-9 feet (or more) of steel blade out front to warn other drivers. I just don't want to get a ticket for the wrong light.tymusic
  2. DKG

DKG Senior Member

I have talked to a couple of MTO officers over the years. One had mentioned that emergency services would be going to blue/red in the future. The HTA at the time required a blue light while removing snow from a "highway". The MTO officer did not consider parking lots and private roadways to be a "highway". He said amber would be ok. Since then I have run only amber, with no problems.
  3. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

I am part of landscape Ontario (on the board actually for the golden horseshoe chapter) and every year we have an MTO seminar, I specially asked the MTO officer and he said we can run amber all day long like DKG said without a ticket. We are a "Service Vehical" like a tow truck. Blue this year will be ticketed heavy now that most police vehicals have switched to blue. Also if you havent seen we have a meet for southern ontario people in my sig, you should come out.

4. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I understand that there is no issue running blue on your own property, just don't get caught on the street with it running.
  5. Lynden-Jeff

Yep, you could have a full blown police rig on private property and be fine. I find im more at risk on the road then on my lots (most of them anyways) so I prefer amber as I can leave it on all the time. People are dumb, and don't know how to drive, so id rather make my self as well lit as possible.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Our trucks have both, and run both on site but none while on the road.
  7. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

Thanks for the info Bro. I will change mine to amber. I agree with you that people are dumb and you need to run the lights on the street. I have a birthday party the day of the meet but I will try and get out even if for a while to meet up with you guys.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We run amber all year round on our tractors and trucks. For road travel the tractors stay on and the trucks go off. It kind of irritates me when I see I guy in a pickup going down the road with all his amber lights on, no offense to anyone but IMO.
  9. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I'll reply for the sake of getting another post, like everyone said, Amber is ok anywhere.

you can run blue or whatever you want on private property. But remember you have it on back ontoa road or something and they can nail you.

Go amber it's safe
  10. Lynden-Jeff

I understand what your saying and no offence taken at all. I just find if visibility is reduced id rather be safe then sorry and have it running not to mention I forget lol.
  11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I do forget also. LOL
  12. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Basically what I was told by an MTO officer is "The only way you can run blue lighting (on a roadway) is if you are acting on behalf of a municipality, city, township etc....". And that there will be heightened enforcement this year.
  13. DP Property

DP Property Senior Member

I also changed to a whelen amber light bar this year- I don't run in the summer on the road that much but in the winter I will run always with blade and salter. I used to forget my blue light was on and jump on the highway - never got a ticket but I think they will be cracking down now also.
  14. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I never got a ticket before either but if you check out the wording on the requirements it states that a blue light is required if you are clearing streets on behalf of a municipality. There was never a requirement for private guys to use blue. I actually know people that have been threatened with a ticket for not using the blue light while plowing (some time ago) by police. I guess we all just figured that was what we were supposed to do. Any case, I am running orange this year.
  15. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

I think i`m going to get an amber strobe for this season. I don`t want to get any tickets for having a blue one.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  16. martyman

martyman Senior Member

I bought an Orange one for doing my residentials...bought it at Grote for $50
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We asked four different local cops about this, each seemed surprised and said hadn't heard anything about it. We were told to just keep doing what we are doing, as it would be awfully hard to mistake a dump truck and plow for someone imitating a police cruiser.... :rolleyes:

We have amber lenses too and can change if they want us to, but so far we've left it alone.
  18. Lynden-Jeff

Becareful, cause an MTO officer will ticket you!

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Orange shows up better anyways and you can use it in the summer also.
  20. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

there is all this talk about blue and amber. but do you legally need the light? or do we just have it more for safety?