1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ontario info

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by GTS, Feb 6, 2007.

1. GTS

GTS Junior Member
    from ontario

Hi all, I'm new to the site and have a few questions. I'm from eastern Ontario and am wondering how many events you bill your customers for seasonal contracts?
    Example: 4 months, 16 weeks x $40.00= $640.00 for the season.

How much are you charging for salt and sand?

From what I gather the going rate seems to be $125.00/hour on this site, would that be true for Ontario also.

Thanks for any help

2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Your hourly rate is out to lunch :nod: The most you will get is $70. I bill my trucks out for $65 to 70. Salt is variable. You may be able to get $20 per 40KG bag if your lucky. I quoted my seasonal contracts out at 30 to 40 events per season. I think 35 will work out real nice this winter. Just some thing to consider.

3. GTS

GTS Junior Member
    from ontario

So if I were to charge a customer say $20 for their driveway for 30 events, I would give them a price of $600 for the season. Would salting labour would be additional, or would the 30 events per season cover that? (freezing rain, light snow not enough to plow)
    Then on top, I would charge for the cost of salt?

Just trying to figure out for next year, Im in Kingston by the way.

4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

For a commercial yard, I usually figure about 25 plows and price it that way. For driveways, I can get about $400/season, then I add another $100-$150 if they want the walks shovelled too. I don't think I could get much more than $400 for a driveway here. I am in North Bay. As far as hourly, I quit working by the hour years ago. I spend good money on my equipment so that I am reliable, fast and efficient. For some reason I always was going up against some guy with an old beater and a 7.5' blade and they were wondering why I charged more. I average aobut $120/hr now. I don't salt private driveways or sidewalks. I think it is too much hassle and it opens you up to even more liability. Commercial, ya, and we charge lots for it.

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Contract for this area runs 5 months and some 5 1/2 months. Nov. 1 or 15 until April 15. If you are plowing on a 2" trigger you will get an average of 16 events. So far this year we have dropped the plow 5 times.

Salting is usually per application on a fixed price per visit or included for some seasonal contracts.

6. GTS

GTS Junior Member
    from ontario

Is there a weather website that has the average snowfalls per year for Ontario cities?

Thanks for the answers guys!

7. GTS

GTS Junior Member
    from ontario

What are you guys charging for salting?
    A 40 kilo bag at $20.00 works out to $0.50 a kilo right? or $0.23 a pound?

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We buy bulk salt for .06/kilo.I don't price per kilo, I look at the lot and come up with a price. Here I would have a hard time pricing if I were to use bagged salt. We have a local bult salt depot that charges $83/metric ton with no account and $74 if you have an account. There are only a couple of local guys using tailgate spreaders and bagged salt.

9. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Up here, we don't even use straight salt - I wouldn't know how to price it. We only use sand/salt mix. I guess it is too cold for the salt to do anything.

As far as snow depths, I can't for the life of me find it right now. I get all my weather info from Environment Canada and The Weather Network online and I am sure there is a link to get the snow depths. In fact, I was looking at that about a month ago. Seems to be avoiding me right now, if I find it again, I will post it for you.

10. R. Price

R. Price Junior Member

I live in Kingston, ON and most ppl that I know charged for 15-20 times (events) for a season. But its hard getting contracts this year. last year the most you would of plowed was about 6 times, so no one wants to pay any money....

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nice thread from almost 4 years ago. Seasonal for us is 5 months.