1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ontario getting hit hard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cutntrim, Apr 3, 2003.

1. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Freezing rain warning for us down by Lake Ontario, winter storm warning for those up around Georgian Bay. Perfect timing too, I've got one truck in the shop, and all my equipment is packed away nice and tidy for the summer. Had to climb over everything just to get at the leftover salt bags. Good thing I've got some.

They say we may get up to 25mm of ice accretion by the time it's done some time saturday. I'm ready to go, but I'm holding off because at the rate it's building up right now, I'd just be wasting my salt trying to do anything now. Like shooting at an elephant with a BB gun. Besides, I think the layer of ice pellets on top of the freezing rain provides at least a little traction. If I try salting, it'll probably only make things worse.

Are you other Ontario guys taking a 'wait-and-see approach'? Or are you trying to salt with the storm hoping to keep everything black and wet? I can tell you the city isn't having much luck so far, and they've got a heck of a lot more salt available than I do.

2. Nova

Nova Member

Well I don't do any salting, but as far as plowing goes, I'm going to wait a bit and see. The radar looks pretty intense.

I went outside about 20 mins. ago to hand shovel in front of my garage and it weighs a ton! I've never plowed anything like this before, I hope everything works out.

Good luck guys.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

We've been out salting off and on all day,but it just can't keep up.The stuff started as freezing rain,then we got about an inch of crusty ice pellets,and now another inch or two of snow.The stuff is like concrete !! Heading out to plow now.Good luck guys,it's gonna be a long night.

4. PPM

PPM Junior Member

Just got in!!

Hey guy's, I started at 3 am, just got in to clean up then go to my other job. This stuff sucked for plowing, and is'nt worth salting yet. My plow kept tripping, as soon as I dropped it "BAMM" down it goes , I think Ill add another couple of springs . Anyway I had to do all my places twice to get it down to pavement, still was'nt able to finish everything, yet I haven't got a call, two more places to do. Salter was already taken off , cleaned , and greased!! Ill have to get a buddy of mine to salt for me! To top it all off I just got a call while sitting here one of our trucks just blew a u joint.
    I hope everyone is having as much fun, see ya all .

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Just got in from plowing a while ago,and it was tough.Plow would not stop tripping,even busted two trip springs.My buddy's Fisher would launch the front end of his truck,it was tripping so hard.

Round two just started here,more ice pellets,and is supposed to get worse later today,a repeat of last night,and not taper off till sat afternoon.

Thankfully all of our seasonal contracts ENDED April 1st,so this one's a billable event.Should make some nice $$$$ :D

6. CMLLawnservices

CMLLawnservices Junior Member

This sucks bad, i took all my snow removal stuff out and brought my landscape trailer in , back when it was 20 degrees celcius out, now there is 1/4 inch of ice on every thing , i`m losing money by the day not doin any clean ups :mad: It better melt real fast . there isn`t enough snow to remove here except what the plows put up at the end , but i`m not goin to get the tractor just to scrape drive ways for 1-2 days. and there isn`t enough snow to even get the sle dout for one last time. it sucks cuz there was supposed to be some good partys but now there all cancelled.
    I need to get out mowin!!!!

7. danthegrassman

danthegrassman Member

My seasonal contracts ended March 31. But I don't go out until I get a call so it's been relatively quiet. But looking at the forecast there is more ice in store for us tonight...then possibly more in store for monday and tuesday, so i'll be busy for awhile. At least I can rake in some dough to cover my employees.

I'm down to literally the last few bags of salt, and my supplier is all out, looks like i might have to get some gas station salt or crappy tire if they have any!

Man i'm loosing money big time!
    I got my lawn maintenance guy on weekly salary he worked 1.1 days this week and gets a 40 hour paycheck nice package deal for him!

Luckly my other guy is on hourly and i'm not losing on him but the snow better melt fast, i don't care i'll work in the rain to rake leaves and cut grass just to get back on track. I got major top soil, planting, cleanups, all lined up and ready to go!

8. butter

butter Junior Member

Just got in. Started with a double pre-salt late yesterday, just after the freezing rain started. Went out at 1:30am. My lot cleaned up nice to pavement almost. I sub off of a landscaper and he didn't salt:realmad: Plow was trippin all the time, couldn't get one pass without it trippin. I have never plowed or seen this much ice pellets. Its like plowing sugar, won't stack worth a hoot. Did my lot 3 times as its 24/7 and did the other 3 lots(sub) 2 times. Time to get a couple zzzz's and up in a couple hours as the ice pellets are coming down pretty good. Should be allright on my lot as i doubled up the salt before i left. Hopefully it will be a little easier on the equipment tomorrow. Was thinking of how many guys would be breaking springs, and wrecking trannies:eek: probably quite a few, looks like wyldman is in the lead.:drinkup:

9. wyldman

wyldman Member

Were headed back out again,to clean up what we didn't get the first time,and what fell since we plowed.We got some rain,which froze,and now everything is crusty and ice coated.Plows are having a hard time scraping it up.Thank god for skid steers and loaders.

So far,all we have broken is two trip springs and one plow marker,knock on wood.

Just about got nailed on the way back into the shop.Some rain had fallen and froze,and just one downhill strip of road turned to black ice.20 or so cars piled up around me.Only thing that saved me was having the plow on,otherwise I'd be in it too.

Be careful out there tonight guys.

10. Nova

Nova Member

Out of 47 driveways, only 2 got cleared! They were so solid the truck would ride over it so we just left them, there was nothing we could do. Backdragging was impossible.

As long as the customers can get in/out of the driveway, they'll just have to wait till it melts. I noticed a lot of driveways weren't done, I think everyone just gave up and went home.

11. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I have been out plowing Wed night, Thursday Night and Friday night. This probably is the worse snow we have had this season because it is deep, hard and heavy. The last snow was about 6" but we had it drift up to 3' and then it got the freezing rain on it. Was almost impossible to move it. Looks like I will be out again tonight cause they are calling for another 6" of snow today to cover last nights freezing rain. We never take the plows off until April 15th because up here our contracts run until then. (and for good reason:D )

12. wyldman

wyldman Member

Were finally finished.We had problems getting it up too,as it was so frozen I could drive my truck right up on top of it in some places.We ran groups of two trucks paired with a loader.I got some pics of it,will post later after I get some zzzz's.

I guess it was a good thing the last bit of snow\ice pellets missed us,as we would still be at it.I think it's time for bed,only had two hours since Thursday morning. :sleeping:

13. orenlasko

orenlasko Senior Member

just chiming in...

yeah, been blasting my commercials with tons of salt, otherwise, they wouldnt have got clean. if u didnt salt, you didnt see pavement. my houses were skating rinks, but i mad the rounds yesterday anyways so nobody could complain i wasnt there. this morning i made the residential rounds to clean all the windrows at the bottoms of the driveways as they were pretty bad. NO MORE SNOW. I NEED TO MAKE MONEY!!!!

so far so good for my equipment, although the plow groans!

regards.

oren.

14. C&D LANDSCAPING

C&D LANDSCAPING Junior Member

I have been on the go almost non stop since wednesday night, we have seen it all up here too snow, ice pellets freezing rain and now the wind. I am almost out of salt and there is no more to be found around here, I hope its over soon.
    Corey

15. cutntrim

cutntrim PlowSite.com - Veteran

Damn that frozen applesauce!

Sometimes it's no fun to be a plow guy. We were out from 8:00am Friday until 12:00pm Saturday. I had all my stuff put away, and had begun spring cleanups prior to this mess. Had one of our 3 trucks out of commision to start with, and wasn't able to get it until 12 hours into the route. After getting it, my driver reported a missing pin and we had to scramble to find a new one, since he didn't have a spare. Had spare pins for the Snoways but not the Meyer.

Only had enough salt for one full run, so did not pre-salt. Needless to say, frozen applesauce does not scrape too well when cemented to the asphalt. Then at about 1:00am we had major freezing rain and I took a corner too fast and the truck I was driving into slammed into a light post. Bent the A-frame (that'll be a cheap fix I'm sure...right) and after that the plow wouldn't sit level so only scraped half its normal width. I'm glad I had the plow angled so I glanced off the post, and that I had my belt on.

Used up every last grain of salt I had post-treating the properties after plowing. Gonna have to get more, in advance of the system coming in Monday. I'll only have 2 1/2 plows since that A-frame can't be fixed that fast seeing as today is Sunday. To top it all off, 80% of my properties are still under contract so I'm not making money, just spendin' it.

Gotta go get some zzzz's.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2003
  16. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

HEY Canadian PLOW BROS.........Central NY expecting
    snow tonite....Power still off cuz of the ice storm
    Thurs, nite.......I got a generator at my hotel.....
    We have 10 trucks and crews from Q ? power company
    from Montreal Canada. They are downstairs at the
    bar having coffee, hotdogs and whisky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nobody around here speaks French but my buds 12
    yo and we are all getting along fine.....
    EVERBODY can say BUDWISER and ask the
    bartender to show her txxxs !
    No matter what language they speak !!!!!
    LOL....................................geo

FEAST OR FAMINE ON THIS PLOW GIG !!!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2003