1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ONTARIO, CDA - new to plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by BeemerD, Dec 14, 2007.

1. BeemerD

BeemerD Junior Member

Gents, went and bought a Western 7'6" Steel Mid Weight, with the Ultra mount system. Nice unit, though I know nothing of plows.

The plow is mounted to a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500SL 4x4. I did notice the front end dropped... a 'tad'.

I'm plowing in Barrie Ontario, my own property (business lot 300' x 80', and home). I was wondering about the requirement for warning lights. I do have my four-ways on when I do my property. I do push the snow from the street at my drive entrance into the back of my property, so the transports can get in to our driveway without getting stuck. Do I need a flashing amber light on the roof?
    I know in Ontario it use to be a Blue flashing light, but I've been told from the company that installed the plow, which plows is all they do, that the Ontario gov. was changing the law to amber instead of the blue.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

I live in Toronto and have been trying to follow this silly change of 'protocol'. As far as I have gathered and its difficult to find information on this topic, its not the province that is trying to change the light protocol but the city of Toronto. Toronto wants to implement a bylaw where only city plows will use blue flashing lights and all other private plowers are to be using rotating or blinking amber lights. However, as of now nothing has been changed. Personally, I think its silly having different protocols for people of the same industry.

Hope this helps.
    If you gather any additional information feel free to share.

3. DP Property

DP Property Senior Member

Blue light on private property is fine on the road turn it off Police can fine you if there in a bad mood. Also make sure your license plate is visible on the plow frame not sitting on the dash behind the front window. This is what I was told from the Ontario Provincial Police.

4. karol

karol Senior Member

lights

Blue is fine. I'm in oro medonte. I've got a blue led. Bought it last year. It was 119.00 plus tax. If you're looking for a light i will give you a deal on it. PM at summerh@csolve.net

5. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Im not quite sure where you got this information but I would love to see the actual law or bylaw that currently exists prohibiting the use of blue lights because I dont believe it exists. ????

6. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Highway Traffic Act of Ontario

I was searching and I found this in the HTA of Ontario and as of right now there are no other laws/bylaws that conflict with these rules or protocols. I hope this helps.

Flashing blue light on snow-removal equipment
    (31) No person shall, while operating a road service vehicle on a highway, plow, salt or de-ice the highway or apply chemicals or abrasives to the highway for snow or ice control unless the road service vehicle is equipped with a lamp producing intermittent flashes of blue light visible for a distance of 150 metres from all directions. 1996, c. 33, s. 11.
    Restriction on use of flashing blue light
    (32) No person shall operate a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of blue light on a highway except,
    (a) a person operating a road service vehicle in the circumstances described in subsection (31); or
    (b) a person operating a police department vehicle, together with a lamp that produces intermittent flashes of red light, as permitted by subsection (14.1). 2007, c. 13, s. 17 (8).
    Penalty – commercial motor vehicle

7. BeemerD

BeemerD Junior Member

The HTA was the first place I looked, but as you saw there is nothing to support a change to yellow.

8. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Welcome to the site.

In Timmins they have started to ban the blue light.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=52762

Locally I have asked the cops and was told to change to amber now and be done with it. So since I run amber in the summer I tossed it back on and am good to go.

9. DP Property

we are not a road service vehicle remember that. We are providing a service for private properties. Also in many of the insurance policy's for plowing they state the coverage does not include public roads. Blue light on the road on your pickup = Ticket if the boys in blue are bored or having a bad day.

10. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

What is annoying is that I believe Pickering and TO have different regulations. An MTO in Pickering said we had to have the blue light on always when driving with the plow, but a TO bylaw guy said something different, that we should not.... I wish there was a standard. Now that the Police in TO have flashing blue in their lights, I heard they were going to change it for plowers...

11. BeemerD

BeemerD Junior Member

I just went with the amber light. I don't really care about the blue light, and the HTA only mentions a blue light for higway plows, and since most of us don't do highway plowing, there's no issue. I would not worry what a civil servent says, just follow the HTA and you'll be fine. My only concern was to stay in compliance with laws and regs.

12. DP Property

Thats a good idea I want to get one of those amber light bars there nice and bright

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

In regards to the Blue light while plowing highways and roads is. You are plowing your parking lot, when you pull out on the road to turn around or push snow back into your lot you are not allowed to have the light on because you are not actually plowing the town/city roads. I run my blue light in the parking lot and turn it off from site to site. If they change to orange I will just change the lens.

They had a blitz here last year where they ticketed people that had their front plate blocked by the plow. They actually ticketed 4 of the town trucks. No one said these guys are practical. I was going to get the licence plate ticket but I couldn't find my CVOR so I got that ticket instead, $80. Good job I couldn't find it because if I had I would of gotten a ticket for not filling out my log book, $390.

14. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Its alot of garbage really. Personally I leave my blue light on all the time while plowing or driving. If a cop gives me a ticket, he needs to find something better to do, and I would gladly explain to a judge that in the interest of my own safety, and the publics safety I leave my blue PLOWING LIGHT on to make my self as visible as possible during severe conditions and if he still gave me a ticket, then thats bull.

Cheers
    Jeff

15. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

After hours or searching I have still yet to come accross an actual bylaw that states we are not allowed to run blue lights.

16. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

OK, nothing conclusive yet but I emaild Toronto Police Servics Traffic Division. In the mean time I spoke to a local traffic cop and this is what he said.

It is technically against the law to drive on public roads with a flashing blue light unless engaged in plowing at the time and this goes for all snow vehicles even city trucks. While plowing even when pulling in and out of a driveway no cop in the right mind will ever give you a ticket for having your light on for caution. He also said while driving from property to property in adverse weather conditions no one will ever bother you about your blue light since you have it on for caution and to protect both yourself and fellow sharers of the road. When I get more info I will share it.

17. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

If you move your rear licence plate because your salter blocks it, don't forget to have a small white light shining it or that could also be a ticket.

18. pusher21

pusher21 Member

Hey when are you required to have a cvor number? TIA Jordan

19. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

MTO - Commercial Vehicle Operators Registration (CVOR)
    October 12, 2001 (Copyright) Queen's Printer for Ontario, 1999. This is an unofficial version of Government of Ontario legal materials. For accurate reference refer to the official volumes.

WHICH VEHICLES ARE INCLUDED IN CVOR?
    CVOR applies to trucks and tractors with a registered gross weight or an "actual weight" of more than 4,500 kg (9,920 lbs). "Actual weight" means the weight of the truck or tractor only, which may include weight transferred to it by an attached trailer. Also applies to buses with a seating capacity for 10 or more passengers.

Exceptions: ambulances, fire apparatus, hearses and casket wagons, mobile cranes, motor homes, tow trucks, buses when used for personal transportation, empty vehicles operating under dealer plates or "in transit" permits, and vehicles leased for not longer than 30 days for personal use.

WHAT IS A CVOR?
    CVOR is the registration system for operators of commercial motor vehicles (trucks and buses). It's the part of the Highway Traffic Act under which operators of these vehicles are identified. CVOR also allows the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) to suspend or cancel an operator's certificate.

WHO IS AN OPERATOR?
    The operator is the person responsible for the vehicle and the driver. He/she is also responsible for the people or goods being moved in his/her vehicle on the highway.

ARE VAN POOL VEHICLES INCLUDED IN CVOR?
    Van pool vehicles with a seating capacity for 10 or more passengers are included.

MUST I OWN A TRUCK OR BUS TO OBTAIN A CVOR?
    No. If you lease or contract vehicles you are required to hold a CVOR certificate.

IF AN OPERATOR HAS A NUMBER OF OPERATING DIVISIONS, MUST EACH DIVISION REGISTER IN CVOR?
    No. Such an operator requires only one certificate.

IF AN OPERATOR IS A CORPORATION AND HAS SUBSIDIARIES, MUST EACH SUBSIDIARY REGISTER IN CVOR?
    Yes. Each separate corporation or company is required to register.

HOW DO I REGISTER IN CVOR?
    To register, an operator simply gets an application from any MTO office. Mail or deliver the completed application to the address shown on the form. The ministry will mail the CVOR certificate to the operator.

IS THERE A REGISTRATION FEE?
    No. However, there is a fee for a replacement CVOR certificate.

WHAT IS A CVOR CERTIFICATE?
    A CVOR certificate is a legal document. Each CVOR bears a unique identification number.

WHAT DO I DO WITH THE CERTIFICATE?
    The certificate or a legible copy must be carried in any truck and bus operated on the highway under that certificate number. The certificate must be surrendered for inspection upon the request of an officer.

MUST LEASED VEHICLES CARRY A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE?
    No. The lease or contract must contain the operator's CVOR number. This does not apply if the vehicle is exempt from CVOR, (leased for not longer than 30 days for personal use).

MUST VEHICLES WITH OUT-OF-PROVINCE LICENCE PLATES CARRY A CVOR CERTIFICATE?
    If an operator has been issued a certificate, a copy must be carried. Also, if the vehicle bears prorate plates and Ontario is included on the cab card, a certificate must be carried.

HOW DOES THE SYSTEM WORK?
    When any conviction is registered against a driver or an operator, the court files a report with MTO. The ministry enters the information into the operator's record. Reportable accident information and reports on vehicle detentions for safety defects also go on the operator's record.

DOES THE CVOR SYSTEM INCLUDE CORRECTIVE ACTION AGAINST OPERATORS WITH FREQUENT CONVICTION?
    Corrective action will be taken if an operator's record becomes unsatisfactory. The operator's fleet size determines the number of convictions allowed before corrective action is taken.

WHAT ACTION IS TAKEN IF AN OPERATOR'S RECORD BECOMES UNSATISFACTORY?
    At the first stage, MTO will send a notice to the operator advising that an unsatisfactory record exists and that improvement is required. If convictions continue, the operator may be asked to meet with an MTO official to discuss the record. The official will decide on the necessary corrective action.

HOW LONG DO CONVICTIONS REMAIN ON AN OPERATOR'S RECORD?
    Infractions remain on the record for five years from the date of conviction. However, they count toward corrective action levels for a period of only two years from the date of offence.

CAN AN OPERATOR LOSE OPERATING PRIVILEGES?
    Yes. If an operator continues to build an unsatisfactory record, the Registrar of Motor Vehicles may suspend or cancel the operator's CVOR for all or part of the fleet.

IS CORRECTIVE ACTION AUTOMATIC OR IS DISCRETION APPLIED?
    All corrective measures are discretionary. The operator will be given an opportunity to both explain and correct unsatisfactory practices.

IF A CVOR IS UNDER SUSPENSION, CAN THE OPERATOR APPLY FOR ANOTHER CERTIFICATE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME?
    No. An operator is entitled to only one CVOR certificate.

CAN INDIVIDUALS NAMED IN A CVOR THAT IS UNDER SUSPENSION APPLY FOR A NEW CVOR?
    No. Any person named in a CVOR that is under suspension cannot be named in any new CVOR application.

MUST A CORPORATION NOTIFY MTO OF A CHANGE IN CORPORATE OFFICERS?
    Yes. The Highway Traffic Act requires operators to notify MTO of such changes within 15 days of the time the change is made.

IS IT POSSIBLE TO OBTAIN AN OPERATOR'S OR DRIVER'S CVOR RECORD?
    Yes. An abstract of an operator's or driver's record can be obtained by applying to the Licensing Administration Office and paying the prescribed fee. Application forms are available at MTO offices throughout the province.

HOW LONG IS A CVOR CERTIFICATE VALID?
    A CVOR certificate is valid for life or until it's no longer required.

ARE CONVICTIONS FROM OTHER JURISDICTIONS INCLUDED IN AN OPERATOR'S RECORD?
    Yes. Convictions, detentions and accidents reported to MTO by other jurisdictions may be recorded.

For CVOR and Carrier Control information, contact: Carrier Sanctions and Investigation Office at (905) 704-2500 or toll-free at 1-800-387-7736 (in Ontario only)

20. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Thanks I actually never thought about that, a new project for this week lol...