1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

onspot chains

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boba, Feb 8, 2001.

1. boba

boba Senior Member

problem with onspot chains

I had installed a set of onspot chains on my Ford F350 dump truck in early January. Late January the right canister and bar had to be replaced because it had been bent. Now after the last storm the right bar is bent and most likely needs to replaced. Chain wheel hangs up on shock mount.

Installation person states should only be used on smooth hard surface roads.

Never heard that from company or read any limitation on web site or in litature.

I thought they would be great now not sure.

Anyone else not happy with chains?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I like my On Spots, but I ahve them on big trucks.

F 650s or bigger.

Geoff

3. lx665

lx665 Junior Member

We've used on spot chains on fire trucks for years. They work well in a light snow, anything under six inches. We've had limited results in larger snows. I'm not aware of anyone having a problem using the chains on a rough dirt country road. It seems to me that they were not installed right if they are hitting a shock mount. The only time I've heard of a bent arm is when we've hit something.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

They are very common around here on ambulances (Ford 1 ton chassis-cab style as well as the real ones, IH Freightliner et al) fuel oil delivery trucks and fire apparatus but to be perfectly frank I have never seen them in use, only dangling under the trucks.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Geoff, do you use them a lot? I looked into it a little bit, but didn't know if it was wirth the cost. Haven't had a problem yet with our F-800 that we've had for 3 1/2 years or our F-750 that we've had for about a year.

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

One of our trucks with on spots plows private roads. When it starts plowing any road it uses them. I am sure the truck would be fine with out them, but it never hurts. On spots are worth nothing if you put them down after you stop moving, so we use them when ever we are plowing.

The other two truck with on spots plow lots, depending on the lot, and what is on the ground for snow, the chains may or may not be used.

During plowing, all 3 trucks are loaded. The road truck however sands and salts while plowing so it's load decreases.

Geoff