1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

onsite storage in a container trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PTSolutions, Feb 20, 2010.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

jw if anyone has done this or seen it done. a buddy of ours has a couple of these storage units. they used to be on tractor trailers, the walls are made of fiberglass or some type of poly structure i believe. the back has a rollup door and he uses them to store his bobcat 873 and 773 on his property.

i was thinking about picking up a 16 or 20' model and keeping it onsite to store our asv, shovels, bagged product and walkbehind snow blowers.

all ive found so far are those steel corrugated shipping containers and they would be too heavy to lift off of our deckover. I figure the fiberglass one in 16' shouldnt weigh more than 3K lbs. and i could pick it up and set it down with our machine.

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You could either get a 20'er or 40'er shipping container delivered or maybe you could even transport one yourself.No need to lift it,just slide it off your trailer with a machine.They are much sturdier than those Pods.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

id go with the steel ones way more easily modified for your needs, i had an old boss that came up with this idea, he spaced them 13 feet apart and backed them up to concete blocks and fence. Each crew would then back its trailer in between the conex boxes, and each crew had ther own box to the right of their parking spot. This did a few things, 1. gave great securtiy becasue the trailer doors could be opened with out pulling the truck forward, 2. kept the crew tools, and person items seperate from one another which made each crew accountable for every single item (no more sharing) , 3. didnt have to worry about a crew parking and backing up into the truck next to them with the trailer. worst thing is they damage their own trailer ot truck, but 1 is better than 2 damaged.

aslo he put the plows up on top of the boxes in the summer, made it fare hard to steel them. now he got really smart, bought a peace of land ,put the exact same set up there, and rents the 40 container and the parking spot next to it to local landscapers and contractors for a price,...im thinking in the nehbohood of 250 per month with abotu 15 parking spots total....what do you think he owns right next door , a loose material business. where do you think they get all there material from?....he can even charge a few extra bucks per yard whole sale cost, and they all pay it because its chepaer than driving acoss town , he has them loaded by 6 am with what ever they want.......millions$

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  4. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

The work well for salt. A friend uses one for salt another for sand. They load it with a slinger. Bobcat sits right inside. Locks it up. Nice and dry

5. PTSolutions

i saw those steel ones for sale at commercialtrucktrader. they were going for around 1-2K which isnt bad at all. i dont want anything bigger than 25' as thats how big my deckover trailer is. if i found a fiberglass one i would be able to strap it to the pallet forks and take it off with my machine, but if its a steel one id have to slide it up on the trailer. I was planning on putting a winch at the front anyways.

6. elite1msmith

from chicago

a 25 footer doesnt really weigh a whole hek of alot,...you might look the weights over again, i thought it was only around 4,000 too much for most skidders, depends on the size of the machine i guess, or use two skids one on each side . i was quated for a 20 footer, like 80 bucks per month to rent them with delivery being 150, but that includes the pick up as well after

7. PTSolutions

are you talking about the steel shipping containers or fiberglass trailer bodies? the rc100 can lift alot, it just may have the weight to far forward.

8. elite1msmith

from chicago

yes moved them around in iraq alot, they are lighter than they look , Empty that is, google it and check the weight , i could be wrong, but we could move them around with small forklifts and front end loaders. yeah the weight is pretty fare forward, but you might be able to "help" it up the trailer with a winch. if not, look into leasing them, the company will move them around for you

9. PTSolutions

cool, thanks for the info. ill look into them more. i was going to strap them onto my forks to keep it from rolling forward b/c the forks are only 48" long. that is if my machine will be able to lift it.