1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

only useing sand???

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by jlong, Dec 18, 2008.

1. jlong

jlong Junior Member

is this actually and effective practice....excuse my stupidity but i am actually quite new to the industry. In my opinion it is a way of saving a couple of dollars while increasing your risk of someone falling or a vehical accident. I was quite shocked while bidding on a chain of resturants in town that they actually came back to me and asked if I would use straight stand to cut the cost??? I didn't get the bid. Then my fathe enformed me that after the last snow the company doing his factory was shoveling "blocks" of frozen sand onto the parking lot after plowing the snow...In my opinion it is idiots like this that are destroying the priceing of this industry :rolleyes:

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

we sand when its really cold, for the last week its been below zero, not exactly good salting weather. We also sand a couple of gravel lots.

3. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

nope. The idiots ruining the pricing are the ones that don't charge enough, who most often don't pay for insurance etc etc.

Years ago i planned on running some kind of ice-melt in the spreader but nobody was interested in it, everyone wanted sand. The reason being is price. I went to home depot last week and both sand and ice-melt was up about 100% from last year. 50# sand was 3.50, 50# ice melt was 16.00!!!!!

So really it comes down to salt costing 4.5x more than sand, depending on the deal you can find.. Often times when i plow there isn't much of anything left on the ground anymore anyways, so sand it plenty sufficent.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We have put down just under 4 tons of sand this year so far. Only time we mix in salt is if the customer wants it.

5. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

Here in OKLAHOMA where we don't know any better, we use sand and get along fine. Customers do not know anything about salt either. When it snows it is a different story. We clear it off with tractors and skidsteers. But ice is sanded.

6. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Wow, I paying just under 6 dollers for a 40 lbs. bag of ice melt from Home Depot here. Brand name Road Runner.

7. lowcostlawns

lowcostlawns Junior Member

For our two huge HOA's we do they will not allow any salt on the properties! So we have to mix in magnesium chloride to help the sand from freezing and clogging up! It sucks by we have to get the job done. I wish I could just put down a salt sand mix, its so much less of a pain in the ass!

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Yea. I bought a few 50 lb bags of Road Runner from Wally-mart for $7 too. Not quite high grade stuff though. I think it says "now contains mag. chloride" on the bag or something like that. Who knows how much mag it actually contains.

The bags that Home Depot had were bags of pro-grade straight mag and calcium chloride.

9. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

How do you guys keep your sand from freezing

10. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

we used a little sand last year ..........holly crap that stuff is messy. It was chlorinated sand so it did melt a little but we quit using it cos it would clogg drains and make lots look like sand boxes

11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i put down 9 ton for a small town last week, and it was the first time i had ever done sand....it went okay for chat streets, but i would never use it on commercial because of the mess it leaves and the mess it tracks into the stores.....screws the finish on floors too...

12. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

We use salted sand. Salt is ineffective on gravel surfaces, which is what we do. Salt is about 20%, sand 80%, keeps sand form freezing & clumping. Gotta keep it dry though. Local town only uses sand, right out of the sand quarry.

13. Ropinghorns

Ropinghorns Senior Member

If it makes a mess maybe you are using too much!!!!!!!!

14. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

Sand?

Ive heard of that being used years ago but Ive never actually seen it in person.

15. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

We use sand. The county mixes in some salt, Im guessing maybe 10% at the most, just to keep the sand from freezing. Nobody here will pay for salt, and most times the ice has to sit on the lots for a week before they will even sand, just to make sure it doesnt melt first. The county will load our 2 yard sander for 30 bucks, just pull up under the loader and go. We do about half gravel and half paved lots, it makes a mess of the lots and the floors, but you wouldnt get a single call if you priced out salt here.

16. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Around our area its salt, salt and more salt.
    It's fun watching IDOT try and burn 1" of snow off the road when its 10 degrees out.....and they do. I could sweep up what's left over and re-spread it.

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What part of Iowa are you in?

18. nick858

nick858 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I guess you would say north central, Eldora. We are about 45 min NE of Ames

19. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

It is interesting to see how different areas use material differently.

In this area very very rarely do you see sand used....Its all straight salt.

Then again thats why we;re taxed out the wazoo.

A couple municipalities that are hurting financially you see sand used.

I dont think NY could go back to the old days. People have gotten used to their roads being bare pavement a couple hours after any storm.

20. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

It is interesting to see how different areas use material differently.

In this area very very rarely do you see sand used....Its all straight salt.

Then again thats why we;re taxed out the wazoo.

A couple municipalities that are hurting financially you see sand used.

I dont think NY could go back to the old days. People have gotten used to their roads being bare pavement a couple hours after any storm.