1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Only Snow Blowing Residential's anybody

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MICHPLOWER, Aug 17, 2010.

1. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

I'm new to the forum and I'm just starting out this year, I'm starting out with snowblowers, and shovel and walk behind spreader. I was just wounder if anybody else does this also or did it just starting out. I plan on doing this the first year than hopefully with snow removal & lawn care next year i buy a plow next season. So than when next season comes i could hopefully Sub for somebody.

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i'm sure people have but you have a lot to learn before you can go be a sub contractor for somebody

3. redman6565

and you asked about salting driveways, etc. figure out how much a bag of salt is, your time to spead it and your mark up. nobody is going to give you rates here and even if they did, we all live in different areas that tolerate different pricing.

4. MICHPLOWER

MICHPLOWER Member

No body has to give me any info but, theres alot good helpful guys on here that help out each other. Iwas just asking for a rough estimate, ball park figure, nothing solid.

5. redman6565

well tough to say, standard driveway or long driveway, you see what I'm saying? go out and buy a bag of salt for $5.00, you'd have to see how far you can stretch it out, gather a basic SF for you. Then you measure up your customer's drive, do you math and that will tell you material. Then add in fair price for your time and a little mark up, or profit percentage, if you can.

commercially speaking, I use calcium instead of bagged rock salt but it's up to your customers. calcium is more expensive, but i think, does a better job and isn't as messy