1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Only power to parking lights, nothing else

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Sep 26, 2012.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

'06 Dodge 2500, RT3 8.2v

When I plugged in the wires the other day, all I had was parking lights.

No power to the controller, no power to the tower, no headlights.

I'm assuming there's got to be a power wire that's not putting power to the entire system.

Would this be the wire from the battery to the solenoid? Or is it past the solenoid?

I've got 2 other trucks, they are fine. I've got a good friend that bought a plow from me last year, his truck is doing the same thing.

His is an '07 Dodge 2500.
  2. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

1. Find the row of 4 or 5 relays in the BOSS harness under the hood of the truck.

2. On one end of the row, find the relay with a RED/BLACK a RED wire going into the bottom of the relay. This is relay #1.

3. Get a test light and connect it to battery neg (-), test it to make sure the test light is working.

4. Then turn on your trucks ignition.

5. With the test light, see if you have power (+) on the RED/BLACK wire at relay #1. If you have power on RED/BLACK skip to step # 7.

6. If you don’t, find where the RED/BLACK wire is connected to a fused keyed ignition source. On the ’06 Dodge it is either at the fuse panel under the hood, or the back of the cigar lighter. Once you locate where it is connected, you will see an inline fuse holder on the RED/BLACK wire. Inspect that 10 amp fuse and replace if necessary.

7. If you have power at the RED/BLACK wire, next check if you have power on the RED wire at relay #1. If you do try to swap the #1 relay with another relay. Then check your controller for power. If you have it replace the failed relay.

8. If you don’t have power at the RED wire, go to your battery and locate the RED wire at battery pos (+). You will see an inline fuse holder on the RED wire. Inspect the 10 amp fuse and replace if necessary.

If you are still having issues, feel free to contact the Tech Service department at the BOSS Factory by calling 800-286-4155.
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Thank you sir, I knew I was missing a fuse somewhere.

The ones under the hood were good, I'll check out the relay and work my way back.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I hope you're used to that by now Jodie. :D

If you find everything checks out with the small black/red and red go after the small brown wire next. It should be connected directly to the neg battery terminal and is responsible for grounding the entire plow harness, so if it isn't doing it's job you'll have nothing but park/turn lamps.Often times when there's an issue on a previously fine working system it stems from someone missing re-connecting the brown or red wire at the battery after a battery replacement or service, i.e.- it's a self induced issue.

They're a simple system so you should find the issue pretty quickly.
  5. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member