1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

only one low beam on ultramount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by GripTruk, Dec 19, 2010.

1. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Well, 1 year to the day I am back again with the same problem I had. I promised myself I would take care of this when it was summer but, surprisingly, I was doing summer stuff during the summer so here I am again.
    If you want to read my previous saga, check it out...
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=94050
    I had this whole problem, FINALLY got it worked out, then the truck got in an accident and when I got it back from the body shop after missing 2 major storms, it was back to screwy mode with the headlights.

I played around with it a little today and here's what I came up with. I didn't feel like pulling the airbox from the passenger side so I was only able to play with driver side plugs...When I first hooked up the plow, the low beam on one side of the plow would not work and the high beams both worked. I switched around the connectors on the driver side and came up with a few variations that were all unacceptable, such as, one high beam and one low beam on the truck, one low beam and 2 dim high beams on the truck. I was able to hook it up a few ways where it would work correctly on the plow but never would the truck lights work correctly with the plow disconnected. This is very frustrating because the plugs are very difficult to access so each time I try something else it's a big ordeal. My next move is to try to pull the headlights out so I can actually reach the plugs and switch them around quickly using more than 2 fingers which is what I can do right now. i didn't get to the whole configuration plug today either, I think I have one each way but I couldn't find the other one.

If anyone wants to offer some advice, I'd be happy to see it. I'm sure Twinman will be chiming in here :)

Thanks, Jer

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Boy oh boy oh boy..........I am still waiting for Repo to "chime as well...Oh Repo, were are you?? I did leave him a e-mail

So here is my question, did you every fix it the first time or not??

"JUST LET THIS SIT FOR A MIN) The plug configuration is wrong..But I believe you have to do it from the pass side.. The way I am reading your post, your trying to do it from the driver side, correct..

GO FROM HERE FIRST
    Lets back up. I copy this from you old post (3/04/10)
    "Well, after a MONTH at the body shop, after my friend borrowed my truck and got hit by a semi, I just got my truck back. The front left headlamp was replaced and they replaced part of the western light harness as well, as the adapters were damaged.

Now, once again, I only have one low beam on the plow. I just spent a half hour switching those two plugs (which is a big pain in the ass, BTW) back and forth every which way I could think of. The truck only gets both low beams in one configuration, and the plow never got both. In at least one configuration the HIGH beams were dimly lit but the low beam (on the truck) was not. I really don't know what they did different, but I'm sort of back to square one here. I swapped the headlight plugs at the ISO module to confirm that the left and right plow lights both function."

Before they replace part of the "western harness", it was working??

3. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Well, as far as I recall, I had it all sorted out PRIOR to the accident. I can not guarantee it but I think i did. The previous thread supports that notion. Now just because they had to replace the driver's headlamp doesn't mean they didn't unhook the pass too, they replaced the grille, bumper, air dam, etc. So there is certainly a good chance that the pass side got switched around. It's just such a pain in the butt to get to the back of that lamp that I really just need to pull the headlamps and have free access to try it every which way. I have that diagram you posted on someone else's post "plug-in harness installation: all other applications" Although the diagram about the connectors does confuse me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Jer

4. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Also, ya know looking at the diagram that describes how to test for whether your lights are - or + common made me think of something. My low beams stay on when you put on the high beams, while those each show a switch that turns on either the low OR the high beams. I wonder how this plays into it...

5. twinman326

Well, the only thing I could of think of is pulling the grill off, then remove the head light unit from there. I di it once to my pass side .. I couldn't get the the wiring for the light, so I pull the front grill ( i have a chevy)..

The plug should have a "A" and "B" side.

So if your "B" (head light connector) is connected into the "A", (plug in) then you would have to reverse them
    The "b" becomes the "A"(headlight connector), and the "a" becomes the "b"(plug in).

First you have to get to them..

When they replace "part of the harness", hopefully they replace it with the same part number???

6. twinman326

You might also might want to check the ground wires (for the plow)
    We're still talking about the same truck you have listed; 2009 chevy with the 4port mod??

If so I think this is the wiring diagram.. This is a 4port wiring. To view this really good I use a program call "Irfanview". Here is there web site if you want to down load it
    4port wiring.jpg

I use a program call "Irfanview" to copy and make changes to the diagrams. Here is there web site if you want to down load it.It should be free. Check it out
    http://www.irfanview.net/

Here the link to the electrical schematics
    western site . The number of the pdf is 22373_110101
    http://library.westernplows.com/quicksearch.asp#searchStart

Here the other link for the schematic
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf

Download the pdf, to your computer and use "Adobe" to change the size so you can see it better.

look on pg #36

4port wiring.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Ok, I'm back. Let me dig right in here and say this isn't your problem. If this were me I would call my insurance company up and access the already existing claim. They're are 100% responsible for getting your truck back to in 100% condition. Tell them your taking it to a Fisher dealer and want them to flip the bill, they will do what is know as a supplement claim on it and either pay the dealer directly or reimburse you....as you so choose.

If for some reason they give you the run around about going back to the body shop that you initially dealt with; simply tell them they're (body shop) are not experts in the plowing arena, and this aspect of the repair should of been handled through a Authorized Fisher Dealer to begin with. You wouldn't hire a glass company to pull your frame, why would entrust a body shop to mess with your $5000 plow setup. Never mind that they're not authorized to do so on a professional level, but there obviously not even knowledgeable enough to do so.

What do you mean specifically when you said "They had to replace part of the harness"? Did they replace one whole side....or splice and dice? You need to dig into this and know for sure.

When it comes to Auto Body shops and plow wiring.....assume nothing and start from scratch. If it's not OEM.....it's not their problem (this is how they see it). Are the 09's the same as the 03's and what not. The headlamps and grill are SIMPLE to pull out if so. Get in there full throttle like, and tear it apart. Get at the connectors and splices and make sure they didn't hack something up. The only thing they care about is getting it out the door working...meaning the truck, not the accessories, and they'll do anything to achieve it!

Make sure they have the right harness. Get to the tag and get the number off it.

Like I said though, call your insurance company and get this done on their dime and nerves. There is no sense messing with it.

8. twinman326

Have you made any progress?

Let us know

9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Thanks Repo,
    I appreciate the sentiment and you are correct. However I let it slide for almost a year and I really don't want any more hits on the insurance (since in retrospect I put too much trust in this place and feel they might have run the bill up too high to begin with) and as much as I agree that I should have done that, I need to move on and deal with this on my own. I really can't deal with this body shop any more because it infuriates me. I don't want to revisit it and I don't want to go through any more insurance. I'm a beaten man.

That being said, I do believe I have the correct connectors, I think I figured this out last winter, and I do believe all the connections on the plow side including the ground are in good shape because the various lights DO work at different times, just not at the same time that the truck lights will work correctly. I think what was replaced was simply the left side headlight adaptors. Like I said, it's been a while and I have don't have good enough records to confirm that, but that's what I think. perhaps if I take the headlights off as planned I will get out my continuity meter and ring everything out and make sure all the connections are sound.

I do think you made a very good point in saying "assume nothing and start from scratch" I think that's exactly what I need to do. Pull the whole lighting harness out, ring everything out to check it, hook the headlights directly how they are from the factory, and then do a clean install following the diagrams.

Thanks,
    -Jer

10. twinman326

I also believe when they replace the plug/harness, they didn't realize the plug was flip...And I believe you have to flip it again. It just the way GM reverse their grounds..

11. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

OK, I've been at it for hours and still have not gotten it figured out.
    The best I've got, which seems so close is having everything working, but one side the high beam is on instead of the low beam on the truck. If the bulbs or plugs were the same I could just swap the low to the high and I'd be fine.

If I change the configuration plug I lose that side completely. The configuration plug is the negative common position and I confirmed that the truck is negative common with the test light, this also seams to be the consensus from searches.

I keep thinking maybe there's something to be said about the 3 port vs 4 port module, but as you can see, it gives you the option of 4 port on the quickmatch

If I hook it all up by the book I get the situation with the driver's side low and high reversed, but plow lights working normally.

does anyone have any new ideas based on the getting one side high and low beam reversed? I'm at wit's end here!

-Jer

Picture 2.png

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  12. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I got it working. I'll give a full report tomorrow but basically I got the truck working properly except for the low and high being reversed on one side. As I said if only I could swap the high and low I'd be all set. After messing with it for hours and trying everything and getting nowhere I pulled out the headlamp adapter harness on the side that was reversed (driver's side) and looked at it and the wiring diagram to figure out what's what.
    I decide cross the orange and red cables, cut them both and swapped red to orange.
    It works, and that's all I care about right now.

More to come...
    -Jer

13. twinman326

Check the harness behind the headlight....
    Just went through it on another post.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=113438&page=4

It was a configuration problem and the harness that plug into the OEM, was actually plug into the headlight..

They would of had it fix 2 pages earlier but they didn't listen too well.........

Read the post and you see what I am talking about

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010