1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Only good thing about this winter so far

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by motodad, Jan 25, 2012.

1. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

Is that is should weed out the half ass plow guys. This year I have seen so many new plow trucks zipping around town some with brand new plows others with junk ass plows but everyone cutting prices just to make a buck. Maybe next year they will try something else.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Doubt it. New guys think they will make a killing next year because they seen how little snow was plowed ,so they'll think they won't need much in equipment to get started.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Had a client that calls when his drive gets deep and he said he was thinking of getting into the business. He is tired of the 9 to 5. I stright up told him it is not as easy as having a truck and throwing a plow on it. Told about all the up keep and maintenance and it just takes one broken a frame and there is all your profit for the storm. I was be lucky you have a steady job living in cleveland. He seemed to undersand its is not that easy. Have to tell th worst to keep competition to a minimum.

4. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I think everyone said last winter would weed out the hacks because it was too much snow. For every business that fails, one starts up.

5. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

keep what you got happy and who cares who starts plowing

6. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

the good part is I just changed my plow fulid in a t shirt... in january....

7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think there is anything good about this winter myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I have had zero breakage this season so far , only plowed once ! I guess that's the silver lining , at least it's not costing me to not make money . Since it's my last season anyway , I guess I can live with it . You guys out there that rely on plowing to pay your bills have my sympathy ! Anybody want to buy an established plow Rt. W / Truck and plow , cheap !

9. procut

procut Senior Member

It's not gonna make any differance. 75% of the people who plow snow are just doing it for extra money anyways. They have their "real job" and then if we get snow, they make a few extra bucks, and if not, oh well.

10. JTVLandscaping

Collecting on the seasonals, going to bed whenever, getting up whenever...I don't mind it at all

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats it 100%. The only thing about this year is the available time has given me a chance to work on my new business venture.

12. EIB

EIB Senior Member

What he said. :D

13. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

Thats the problem Im talking about this is my "real job" my name and number is on my trucks and loaders nothing else for me to turn back to . I think thats where the main tention comes from on this site you have guys that do this for a living (lawn and snow) then you have guys that only plow in the winter ( builders, roofers, concreat guys and who ever else that dont work in the winter) and then the guy that plows just to have something to do and wants to play in the snow for beer money and hell cant forget about the firemen and retired police officers that use there "real jobs" to get more lawn and snow work while living off their pention. I would say the only people that 75% of you will get pissed off about this post and thats only because you dont do this for your main job like the other 25%. Ok im done with that little rant.

14. Canplow

Canplow Senior Member

I dont see how guys that have seasonal jobs like construction and concrete are any different from lawn care? and of course we only plow snow in the winter! I do construction in the warm months and snow in the winter"yes for a Living" just like you!

15. JTVLandscaping

I think the point is that if its not snowing, the builders and concrete guys can work. The grass stopped growing, so the lawn guys can't mow, therefore without that...they need the snow. I'm thinking about finding a part time job...to prevent boredom, afterall its 4am and I'm on plowsite. It's snowing though, wondering if I should go out and salt.

16. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

I worked construction and plowed for 35 years and plowing was my winter income ! Now that I've retired and am on basicaly a fixed income that just covers my bills , I could still use the plowing income . Not to mention it gives me something to do besides working in my shop . I'm refering to this as the winter of my discontent !

17. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

the problem with this winter is repair $'s are killing me, I have so much time to fix stuff that broke during the rest of the year, but no money to buy the darn things.

the first real storm we got this winter, last week, blew the transmission monday morning after the storm when I went to take the plow off the truck... so much for an otherwise profitable storm.

18. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

The difference is that when its not snowing construction guys can still work hell there are many jobs I see thru town even roofs are still being put on and concrete guys can also still work in weather like we have had but what can a LCO do when its not snowing? Lawn and snow go hand and hand building a house or laying a slab has nothing to do with each other .

19. motodad

motodad Member
    from midwest

Ya thats what Im sayingThumbs Up lol

20. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

Damn Straight!!!