1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Only a 7.5' plow on a Chevy 2500HD Diesel Xcab

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by brian m, Oct 17, 2004.

1. brian m

brian m Member

Is it true that you can only put a 7.5' plow on a 2001 Chevy 2500HD Ext. Cab with the Duramax/Allison combo? Fisher & Western don't recommend anything bigger than that!
    Has anyone put anything bigger on this truck and gotten away with it?
    Regular cabs don't apply.
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We refuse to put a 7.5 on anything! We have an 8.5 on a 99 Tahoe, an 8 with sides and trip edge on an 2002 Avalanch and a 8 on a cab and a 1/2 long box 1500 Dodge and an 8 on a 1500 Chev. They have all had minor repairs only. No major front end work at all. The only thing I would recomend is getting a poly. The snow doesen't stick to them nearly as much and with the wet snow falls driving from call to call with a plow full of snow is hard on the front end.
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I coat my entire plow with WD40. No snow sticks to it. :waving:
  4. PS496

PS496 Junior Member

I have a 2001 Ex cab GMC 2500HD with the 8.1, not quite as heavy as the D-max, and have had no problems with my 8.5 Western MVP. A couple of the guys I plow with have the same plow setups on Ex cab D-max's and have had no problems either. If you check, the trucks with the 8.1 and the D-max, have torsion bars with a higher torque rating than the ones with the snow plow prep package.
  5. brian m

brian m Member

Thanks for your reply ps496,
    what kind of mileage are you getting with your 8.1? I was thinking about getting a 2001 regular cab dually with the 8.1 but I didn't think it would get better than 10-11 mpg on the Highway, it was also a "buyback" for excessive oil consumption!

do you own a 2001 xcab long bed, with the DuraMax\Allison combo?
    My question was specifically about that truck due to front end weight limits!
    Fisher & Western don't recommend anything bigger than a 7.5' plow which I think is odd!
  6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine has a 2001 xcab long box Duramax with a 8.5' V blade. He has both of them since new and has had no problems.
  7. brian m

brian m Member

That's good to hear but I wonder if it's worth taking a chance and buying it and hanging my Fisher 8.5' V plow on it, it doesn't have the VYU (plow prep pkg) option and its a heavy plow!
    The front GVW is 4670 lbs not 4800 lbs.
    It's a nice truck with plenty of power but if Fisher of all people doesn't recommend a plow bigger than 7.5' than there must be a real good reason!
  8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

130lb difference doesn't sound like a lot to me. IMO I think that a lot of front end damage comes from hitting things. Pot holes, man hole covers, curbs and all the other things that you can't see. If you put a set of Timbrens in and drove responsibly then I think this would be OK.
  9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Cet is right. 130lbs. is not going to kill your truck. Just put plenty of balast in the bed and a set of timbrens and you'll be just fine. The snow plow prep package is not a big difference. :waving:
  10. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

being a 2001 im assuming the warranty has expired?

they have become very choosy over what is considered the proper set up to mount plows to. Seems like they arent crazy about mounting plows to diesel trucks with extended or crew cabs. I just went through this while shopping for a replacement truck for my old full size Cherokee.

They figure if you have a crew cab, you might have more people in the truck- meaning more weight, you overload the axles and your stopping distance is also hindered, thats what I was told anyhow, who plows with 4 people in the truck anyhow, lol

Can you do it? Yes, but alot of times the plow dealer will not install it, you have to install it yourself.
  11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

just remember that chevy says no plows on extended cabs at all with the 2500. especially with the d/a combo. i went with the 7.5 that western recomends, since i do that the plow packege i can lawyer my way through an problems.

i dont think i would risk bigger on a 45k investment. evidently magnoson/moss (sp?) wont help too much when it comes to plows
  12. C & D

C & D Junior Member

Hey Brian M, I have a 2003 gmc ext Duramax, I put a 9'2" Boss vee on it and I have had no problems at all.The only thing I would recommend is some timbrens and a few cranks on the torsion bars.

Good Luck
    Corey Schrader
  13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Really 130lbs. isn't alot of weight but when you consider that its hanging off the truck about 3' then it does to me. I would go the 7.5' then put a set of pro wings on.
  14. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

I run a big block gas 1997 dually with crew cab and a Blizzard 810 (950 lbs.)if this helps you? Cranked torsion bars up 5 turns and it is great. How much heavier is the diesel?