1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Online snowplow business coming to WNY

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Oct 22, 2015.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Brothers expand lawn care business

You’ve probably seen the television ads for Angie’s List, the national company that, for a price, provides a list of contractors for all kinds of services.

A similar enterprise, targeting snow removal, is coming to Western New York this winter.

ChoreNoMore, founded by brothers Peter and Matt Walsh, was launched earlier this year in the Binghamton area. That “soft” launch extended along the East Coast and involved primarily lawn maintenance.

Now with winter approaching, they are expanding to snow removal, which should provide a bigger opportunity, especially in Buffalo.

Potential clients log onto ChoreNoMore.com, via smartphone or computer, then click “Snow” or “Lawn” and entering the address to be serviced, along with their email address. A little more specific information, such as frequency, also is requested.

Those requests go out to local contractors who have signed up with ChoreNoMore. It’s up to the customer to pick among contractors, whose bids include a fee to ChoreNoMore.

“We’ve learned a lot from our customers and contractors, what they’re looking for,” Peter Walsh said.

He’s the operations guy with a background in snow removal.

He and his brother are seeking to simplify the process of connecting consumers with contractors, whether for on-demand or recurring services.

“This site helps with all the bidding, the booking, the rating,” said Matt Walsh, whose professional career has evolved from financial analysis to small business and startup companies. “It’s a full-on service that we will provide.”

Before taking on a contractor, ChoreNoMore checks their references and makes sure they are properly insured and equipped to do the work, according to Peter Walsh. Then, ChoreNoMore handles the marketing and invoicing, among other things.

“This just streamlines the process for them,” Peter Walsh said.

Customers pay ChoreNoMore with a credit card, but contractors don’t get paid until the customer confirms the job’s been done and rates the performance. Payment is automatic if there’s no word from the customer within three days.

If complaints can’t be resolved between the contractor and customer, there’s a chance the contractor could be dropped from the bidding process.

The company is looking to serve “pretty much Western New York,” Peter Walsh said. “I’m getting contractors from all over Buffalo and the suburbs.”

Down the line, the Walshes are looking to expand into other services.

“Our goal eventually is to get into other services, but to try to keep it as simple as possible,” Peter Walsh said. “We’re really trying to improve that experience for the contractors and the customers.”
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks GV, will it be you plowing my driveway or someone else?
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I'll be taking your money, actual plowing is an up charge.
  4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I think its stupid but its the modern age. People dont want to talk face to face anymore.
  5. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

Sounds to me like the chore might be for the contractor - getting paid.

ChoreNoMore for the consumer. LotsOChore for the provider.

And I'm guessing the rates will set a new record? You guys need 7 feet of snow again.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Whatever happened to that one that was based out of GR (I think), he was a sponsor here.

IIRC, it didn't work out so well, since he went Casper by the next season.

So give them a year?
  7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I have a new internet startup myself.

Send me - via paypal, credit card, or bank check - $10, and I will send you $5 in the mail the very next day. That is a five dollar bill, all yours, just for sending me $10! It's like free money!

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

Was it Plowz???
  9. Mark Oomkes

Could've been, I really don't remember.
  10. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Plowz was the other. Haven't heard or seen much from it. But that could be the result of them deleting and blocking from posting on their FB page. Lol
  11. Mark Oomkes

12. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

You got Homeadvisor pro. They do the same is Angies list. I hooked up with them for excavation and paving worked out well. I turned my leads off now. You will only get residential snow plowing and the commercial leads are 3rd party which I'm not interested.

We get calls from vendors all the time that want us to sign up for snow removal leads.
  13. FredG

FredG PlowSite.com Addict

It sounds to me that a dishonest customer could use this for personal gain.
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Oot West we have TaskEasy which appears to be the same type of setup and I believe they take 30% if what the end customer is billed.
  15. LapeerLandscape

30% ? That has to be more then a National Maintenance co.
  16. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

Would you wanna talk face to face with half the people on here???
  17. Mark Oomkes

Lol, less than 10.
  18. LapeerLandscape

Good point.:laughing:

I think most of us would have to get step ladder to talk face to face with Buff.
  19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Yes I would say 30% would be a good number, that's the margin I look for.
  20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Otherwise you'd be talking to my......:laughing: