1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Online payments?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ppandr, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Anyone use an online payment system, whether website based or through a service?
    I have a fair amount of resi's and am looking to streamline the billing/receivable process.
    We bill by set rates determined by the final amount of snow. I have offered a discount in the past to those who pay within three days by dropping a check in a special mailbox but I am not living in the area where my resi's are anymore. I would get about half (40) within three days dropped. Looking to expand this year and want to streamline the process.
  2. Spucel

Spucel Senior Member

I like the discount idea. I'm sure it helps prevent tossing the bill on the desk and paying it next month. I have no recommendations for ya but its a great idea. Good luck!payup
  3. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

when i send an email i include a link to paypal to submit payment.

or i use a CC processor on my phone with swipe for the card - you don't need to swipe but the rate is higher if you don't swipe. service is: https://squareup.com/payments

i am in no way saying its the best out there. YMMV. i just found both to be pretty complementary. a quick plow and swipe makes it easier to get paid and for most people it makes it an easier decision to clean out the driveway. for the contracted customers i can send a bill from paypal through my phone while doing their driveway.
  4. highmark923

highmark923 Member

Check out Freshbooks. I use this for my webdesign business which is only me, a sub, and several clients. I think it's free and I use PayPal as my CC processor. There is a fee for using PayPal; but not for Freshbooks if you keep it under 2 employees. You can have as many customers as you want too I believe. They also have a mobile component for phones as well but I haven't checked that out.

For our snow business we will use the same thing since we run only 2 people currently.
  5. bi-directional

bi-directional Member

We started using Interact online transfers last year and it worked good for us. It's all done through the customers online banking and you get sent an e-mail to tell you to accept the transfer. The only cost is to the person sending the money, I think it costs them $1.50

I use paypal for my summer work and will do so also this winter on plowing
    you can send invoice right though paypal to there email also

it cost a couple percent per transaction but all in all it works well for me
  7. Reggie

Reggie Junior Member
    from Indiana

PNC Bank has their own in house merchant set up.
  8. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I use Landscape Billing. Been using it about 4 years now, works well for me. They have a 30 day free trial at www.landscapebilling.com and its only a few bucks a month after that.
  9. IreneS

IreneS Junior Member
    from US

I use PayPal for my online payments and as of now, I don't encounter any problem regarding this.
  10. MattsPlowingWI

MattsPlowingWI Junior Member

I have been using quickbooks for many years now. We have accepted credit cards through there processing network with excellent rates, but you need to swipe the card for the 1.94% rate, otherwise I think it's in the upper 2's, and then we find many people using reward cards and we get dinges again at the end of the month, but the rates are the same with almost all merchant services. I've met with a number of merchant services reps but with intuit it's already in our accounting software and low fees and no equipment if you don't want it. But last year they added an online payment system with a flat $0.50 fee per transaction. A few of our clients used it (8%) and we were happy to only pay $0.50!
  11. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i use serviceautopilot. granted at this time its really built more for lawncare, and mowing than snow. as a result we have had to "addapt" to how it works. but they are coming out with a snow feature in the next month.

back to my point, we have a client log in, where they can pay there bill with credit card, but last year we started requiring they give us a card on file and auto charge it for every storm. works great.
  12. fsnowguy

fsnowguy Junior Member
    from usa

I am with the others using paypal. It is pretty easy to add a pay here button to your existing website and clients trust it.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  13. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

I got an Intuit account with a card swiper and plan on swiping on site when cash isnt an option, otherwise punch in the number. I plan to clearly ,and contractually, make it clear that if I come then I charge your card.
    My only reservation is keeping customers card numbers in their file (for entry when they aren't physically there to swipe), I'm not so sure thats good business practice ???
  14. ArlingtonLand

ArlingtonLand Junior Member

There is an option through quick-books to accept online payments. For the 25 cents is costs me it entirely worth getting paid fast, having it go directly into my bank account, and recording it into my books.