1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Online parts?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by beanz27, Dec 13, 2015.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'm not seeing much for parts online for the Pre DD 810's, is there anywhere online I can order stuff? Specifically valves (86 CR), the switch for the power hitch, and a cutting edge set? I've found a few main cutting edges, but nothing really for wing edges, and not a single thing for the valve.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Spemco has the switch. Got them for around 15.00.
    Any blizzard dealer should be able to get you parts....should. I haven't seen aftermarket wing edges ever.

3. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

Maybe I am missing the boat here. Why do you need to shop online? Can't you find what you want at local dealers? I would think a few phone calls would find you what you need.

4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I typically shop local for most things, but I've found the markup to be rather high for the localish dealer. As in the valve that I was told was $40ish from Jerre, just cost me $61 to order. Also the same switch that I can buy for $36 online is also $61. I prefer to keep it local, but the local dealer isn't really a dealer anymore, just sells some parts for the plows he used to sell.

Another example would be a cutting edge for $550 before tax, just seems a bit steep for what they are. I really do prefer buying local, even if it costs me a bit more, but come on, if he's charging $20 more for a valve, or $25 more for a switch, how much is he charging on the edge?

5. bliz&hinikerDLR

Just curious, how much do you think a dealer should make each on a $20 part, a $60 part, and $500 set of cutting edges? No judgement, just wondering what you think is fair.

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well typically I'd expect $5-10 more than online, that's fine for me, but when it looks like they are buying it at the same price I could online, then nearly doubling it, i look elsewhere.

7. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

the switch for the power hitch that you are paying 36 dollars for is even too much you can order them from aircraft spruce under the part number T7-231E1
    I don't even have a dealer close around me to order a cutting edge , but rather found a mine supply outlet that sells cutting edges , he ordered me in a made up cutting edge with a higher carbon content, the hole spacing is pretty standard just get your measurements , I only paid around 170$,

8. bliz&hinikerDLR

I appreciate your responses. even though cl really didn't address the question. Could you answer my question as it was posed to you? How much should a dealer make on each part: $20, $60, and a really large, heavy $500.

9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'd imagine a 20-30% markup over cost, so 5, 15, and 100, after expenses. My point is though it appears as though they are buying the switch for the same price I would be, then adding their markup. I've never had an issue with my boss dealer, they are generally the same or close enough with other suppliers, except a few things like sidewalk drop spreaders.

10. GLS

GLS Senior Member

I will gladly support my local dealer if they treat me right. Many times dealers don't seem to want your business or don't want to deal with having to order you one specific part. Not to say there aren't dealers out there with excellent service. Plus, you don't have to drive xxx miles to dealer to find out part has to be ordered, when you can click online and have it at your door.

In my case, I don't have a local blizzard dealer so I order most parts online.

Jerre is a great source and very knowledgable with these plows. I have purchased many parts from him.

The power hitch switch is an Otto T7-211E1. Should find it for under $20 shipped.

I have used oreilly equipment (http://www.oreillyequipmentparts.com/), storks auto, and others.

11. bliz&hinikerDLR

Ok, one more question since the online sales question arose at our store again today.

What do you EXPECT from an online source?

Also, I guess we are spoiled in Wisconsin. There are plow dealers all over the place. Also, we stock a lot of parts. If you have a problem with your Blizzard plow: unless it is structural, 9 times out of 10 we can fix it without having to order parts.

12. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Well online I expect cheaper at the price of customer service, and lack of getting it now. Another reason I greatly prefer my local dealer. In 6 years on my own I haven't bought any parts for Boss plows online-my dealer is A+ on all fronts, I'm asking more for the blizzard stuff as my nearest dealer is 75 miles, and doesn't stock anything, they order after I need it. Only online parts I've bought is trip springs for the MVP, otherwise I buy 90% of the lights from strobes and more as I love their products.

If I already have to wait, why pay extra money plus drive 75 miles?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  13. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

I shop amazon for 98% of my items. With prime which costs you 99$ a year you save that in the first 3 items you order not to mention free shipping. Local dealers are starting to lose the competition to online markets.

Example I bought suspension parts online for 174$ from amazon. Local wanted 268$... No brainer would tell you to order online and save.

Amazon has great customer service and stands behind the products they allow to sell on the site.

Another thing I noticed for auto parts buy online use discount codes and pick up from the store within an hour.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  14. dieselss

Is Amazon going to install? Tech support? Sometimes retailers won't help you when you bring them parts you bought elsewhere.

15. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

If I needed help installing why in the world would I order from Amazon! And if something needs done I can't do I take the part to my local shop guy who does it after hours on the side.

16. dieselss

Is your guy on the side gunna be available during work hours, and during a storm, or at odd hours?

17. ThatGuySnowPlow

ThatGuySnowPlow Member

Sure will....... Here's the deal ONLINE MARKETS ARE TAKING OVER!

18. dieselss

Sure he will.
    If you say

19. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Your dealer isn't going to drop everything he's doing and fix your plow at 4 am. It's going to be either you can sleep in the truck for a couple hours until we get a chance to look at it or you drop it off.

People say buy local, my "local" dealer is over an hour in good driving conditions from where we're at. And yeah he's open during storms, but unless you need fluid or hoses, he's back logged.

I buy online. My next plow will be brought online. As well as all the parts I need

20. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Another thing I should add, no dealer is open here during storms, so have spare parts or your SOL.