1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ongoing Pro Plus Controller Problem

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by theguynextdoor, Feb 11, 2014.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have an 8.5ft Western Pro Plus on a 2008 F350 V10, purchased new in 2011 I think. It is a 3 plug system, not fleet flex. Before this winter I took my hand held controller and put it in a different truck. I bought a new controller from the dealer for my truck. I started having problems in January when it was very cold, thought it was due to water freezing in the lines. The plow wouldn't always go up, would delay in lifting, or would go up and immediately drop to the ground. I changed the fluid, but after changing the fluid, the plow would go left instead of right, or right instead of left. After cycling through the motions for 20 minutes everything was fine for a couple weeks until the same problems came back. I decided to switch the controller with my other truck to see if the controller was suspect. The other truck's plow started doing the same thing. I took the controller back to the dealer and they gave me a new one. I thought the problem was fixed, the plow worked fine for two weeks until this last storm. Similar problems started happening again, except opposite. Now the plow doesn't always drop right away when I press the down button on the new controller. Sometimes doesn't lift on the first click when pushing into a pile. When it does start to lift, the plow angles left instead of going up.

What are the chances I got 2 bad controllers from Western or is my plow/truck doing something to cause this?

I checked all my connections, cleaned them, and put dielectric grease on everything.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any help with this problem.:mechanic:

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I would have a real good look at the controller plug pins and wires. Not likely you got two bad controllers. I imagine you could have a bent pin or something in that plug.

3. theguynextdoor

I will check that out.

I should add, this problem is intermittent. Doesn't do it every time I move the plow, but frequently.

4. mishnick

Electrical connection behave just like that. A loose connection will cut in and out from the vibration.

5. hammerstein

hammerstein Senior Member

I have the exact same problem on a 9' pro plus that was new in Nov of 2010. End of last winter it started acting up, and I put a new controller on it was fine after that. Then about two weeks ago it has started doing exactly what your complaints are. I first noticed it with a delay when lowering then its been getting worse. Once it got really bad and I tapped it on the steering wheel and it went back to working fine. I swapped it with a controller from another truck and no problems at all. That controller in the other truck makes that plow act up as well. Waiting on a new one from dealer as they were out of stock.

6. theguynextdoor

This is exactly what's happening to me.

Is it possible there is something with the plow or truck wiring that is burning out the controllers?

7. theguynextdoor

The pins at the controller connection look fine. Everything is straight and tight. If there was something wrong there, the controller from my other truck wouldn't work either.

8. mishnick

If the bad pins are on the controller side of the connector it would only fail on the first controller....
    Aside from that, it's beginning to sound like sticky valves, but which ones? S1 valve sticking open will make the plow drop as soon as you stop lifting, S2 valve sticking will make it angle right when you hit up. Certainly could be both valves sticking but it's a shame just to throw valves at it.
    It could be bad wires anywhere from the controller all the way to the valves. This unit has a separate wire for each valve. You need to do some testing when it fails.
    http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/22373.07_110108_for_web.pdf
    Have a look at page 15 in this manual. This is the three plug, three port isolation module system. The four port is in that book too, not sure which module you have but for control wires it's the same.
    This one is the mechanic's guide, use this for the hydraulics etc. but the electrical shows only the relay system so don't look at that part. http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/27097_061503_web.pdf
    This will tell you which valve is which and show you a parts breakdown etc.
    As for the plow destroying controllers???? It is possible but there are fuses that should protect the controller, unless larger fuses have been substituted for the originals....

9. theguynextdoor

Thank you for that info mishnick. I guess I have some testing to do in the shop. I'll let you know how those valves test out.